Front cover leaking.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
What causes these to start leaking and how hard are they to replace.
95E7-4DCA-93F0-B1901EC742A7-18366-00000F5CE3807B0E.jpg

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Pressurize the cooling system and take parts off if required to see where it's coming from. I have only once ever seen an actual front cover caused coolant leak.

Hoses, thermostat housing, etc. there's a ton of stuff that can leak and its all above that point. Unfortunately it's now just backtracking to find the source.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Pressurize the cooling system and take parts off if required to see where it's coming from. I have only once ever seen an actual front cover caused coolant leak.

Hoses, thermostat housing, etc. there's a ton of stuff that can leak and its all above that point. Unfortunately it's now just backtracking to find the source.

Ok probably next week end ill pull the radiator and all that to figure it out. Regardless what it Is ill probably change the water pump and belt and all that while I'm in there. And front cover if that's what's leaking.

78f100

Reaction score
I have not done the front cover cab on but I bet its not fun at all. I started to then decicded to pull the cab, as I had some other stuff to do.

I bet that is a leak from somewhere else also.

MINK

Reaction score
check where the hose goes into the front of the driverside of the engine, there is a plastic piece with o-rings there and mine started leaking after I did my headstuds - it leaked down in that same spot.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I have not done the front cover cab on but I bet its not fun at all. I started to then decicded to pull the cab, as I had some other stuff to do.

I bet that is a leak from somewhere else also.

I have manifolds and up pipes that need to go on to so if I have to pull the cab that's fine haha. I can't seem to see any coolant above where I'm seeing it.

78f100

Reaction score
its cake with with the cab off...LOL

on a side note just became a Major on here!!!!!!
like it matters...LOL

Alfie

Reaction score
You guys take the cab off for a front cover? So not needed. It's cake.

And for up pipes just pull the trans. Unless u think u might strip a bolt then the can is recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
You guys take the cab off for a front cover? So not needed. It's cake.

And for up pipes just pull the trans. Unless u think u might strip a bolt then the can is recommended.

I have a lift at home, it is so much easier for me to just pull the cab. 2.5 hours at most and I can stand up while working on anything I need with ease. I can pull the cab probably as fast as you can get the trans out. For me here by myself it just works better.

Alfie

Reaction score
I have a lift at home, it is so much easier for me to just pull the cab. 2.5 hours at most and I can stand up while working on anything I need with ease. I can pull the cab probably as fast as you can get the trans out. For me here by myself it just works better.

For front covers? It takes about 3-4 hrs total to replace with cab on. Trans take about 30 min to just remove. But I have removed. Cabs just for up pipes when its a high milage truck cause if a bolt strips I'm F'd.

I do agree cab off repairs are easy but I wouldn't do that for a front cover. I just remove the radiator and all the front stuff. Maybe cause I do it all the time but seams like cab off for a front cover is way over kill.

And I so wish I had a lift at home. That's awsome. Maybe one day.

FussGus

Reaction score
My truck started leaking from somewhere on the front last Wednesday and I can't tell where it is coming from. From I'm thinking it is either the water pump or the front cover. Is there still a high probability of the front cover leaking even when the truck is emissions-less? Also my degas bottle was just about full when I noticed it leaking last week. I am hoping it's one of these and not something more serious.

Alfie

Reaction score
Usually is a water pump
But best thing is to remove the fan clutch and water pump
Pulley and pressure test to make sure.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Robbie, if what MINK said is the case on yours, let me know. I've got a new line kit for the 6.4's coming too. Gets rid of all that janky plastic crap in there.

Sorry about the late reply. Mine ended up being the water pump leaking but I ended up replacing the front cover gasket while I was in there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.