front driveshaft upgrade

fordman2121

Reaction score
Whats everyone doing to strengthen the front shaft joints? Them things are tiny comparex to the sd. Is there a flange conversion on the x case to make a sd shaft work with the bigger joints?

m j

Reaction score
which transfer case?
4407 i think is in my 97 and reading the weird threads on the subject it appear to use the same front yoke as an old np205 but may require a hone to knock the id of splines down a hair
I have not yet tried it but was looking to put a 1350 double carden in my d60 swapped f250, a flange is available from highangledriveline for the np205

old man dave

Reaction score
Nobody really breaks them. People change to the F-350 double cardan driveshaft mainly to reduce vibration at highway speeds.:naughty:

fordman2121

Reaction score
Its the borg warner 1356. We snapped the u joint in the double cardan and cracked the x case. Just dont want to have to replace it again.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
If u get the flange off the SD t-case (the one thats bolts to the t-case and has the u-joint pressed in) and the SD drive shaft it should bolt on. U will have to either change the pinion yoke on the frt axle to one off a d-60 in a SD. Or use a neapco adaptor universal. But then that universal becomes your weak link.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Tried the sd flange its different. I guess I could let everyone know what its on. We have a 03 e450 with an auto that is front wheel drive. It uses a 1356 case then sends power only to front wheels. It has an Italian axle in it. But the front shaft is just a obs shaft. My buddy did a brake turque and snapped a ujoint and it cracked the case. We plan on towing light with it...snowmobile trailer and use it as a party bus. So most of u guys pullin down the track still using stock driveshaft on the front?

under construction

Reaction score
Not sure on the 1356 but on my 4407 i took the flange that is on the rear off of a spare case I had (another 4407) and had it machined down because the throat was too deep to mount on the front. The splines are the same so it worked out great. I then took a rear drive shaft from a dodge that I had and had it made to length. I now have 1410 joints in the front and a larger diameter shaft. I broke several shafts, several yokes (the one at the t-case and the one at the pumpkin),and even snaped the input shaft off of the front of the t-case. I have had no problems since the new shaft and flange were installed. Nock on Wood. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
If u get the flange off the SD t-case (the one thats bolts to the t-case and has the u-joint pressed in) and the SD drive shaft it should bolt on. U will have to either change the pinion yoke on the frt axle to one off a d-60 in a SD. Or use a neapco adaptor universal. But then that universal becomes your weak link.

the dana axle has a yoke available for any u joint you care to use

fordman2121

Reaction score
Ive still been doing some research on this and still havent been able to find a flange to work yet. I do know that the 1330 and 1350 sereis joints share the same cross section, but the 1330 uses a smaller cap diameter. And the 1350 cap is the same as the 1410. Its really pretty neat how the joints get bigger and share comminalities.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Found out that high angle driveline does have a flange that will bolt a SD shaft to the bw1356. Now I just have to get it off to count the splines as there are 3 options.

Latest posts

Members online