Fuel gauge way past full

2001 Power Stroker

Reaction score
My fuel gauge has always worked and read correctly until all the sudden a few days ago I start my truck and it is wrapped past full almost to the middle of the gauge.

So I have been adding fuel a lot and I filled the tank until the pump kicked off and went home and unplugged the sending unit and read the resistance and it was at 140-145 ohms as I do not have the Intank mods so I assume the sending unit is ok.

With the sending unit unplugged the gauge still reads past full, key off it moves to a 1/4 tank and then a few seconds later it goes to empty, it must have power for a while after the key is shut off.

I have continuity at the sending unit plug, I have 10-12 volts at the wiring harness coming to the sending unit plug so it's getting power and ground I assume.

Now the thing is what else could it be? I've talked to a guy that I know he works on these trucks a lot and he owns one he said he's seen the plug in the cluster loose and or corroded so I'm going to pull the cluster and check that. I'm also going to look for any chassis grounds that are corroded or junk I know of one for sure that is bad it's on the passenger side connecting to the frame to the bottom of the cab and it's falling apart or fell apart. So anything else I need to check? Sorry for the long read guys and thank you for your help!

mandkole

Reaction score
Just keep going. If you ground out the sending unit wire from the gauge, it should read very full. If so, the gauge is fine and focus the effort back at the tank harness. Sounds like you've got a short, chaffed wire, bad ground in the harness back there. Id have a buddy in the cab with the key on, start disturbing the wiring back there and waiting for the gauge to act up. Being an MI truck, Im sure there's plenty of corrosion going on.

2001 Power Stroker

Reaction score
Well I fixed my chassis ground. I took the cluster out and checked for continuity and have it. Unplugged the sending unit and wiring harness and ground the yellow/white wire to the frame and tested the resistance and I read a checklist of what to do on psn and it said that this test should be as close to 0 ohms as possible and that checks out perfect so the only thing that it can be is the cluster.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.