getting 6.4 why one brand of tuner, over another?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
so, you read various threads,

it seems no one likes the spartan tuning, or the ppl who have had it, have changed, which uses the dash daq, and besides spartan, only rcd can use it, afaik. but everyone likes the dash daq for the guages, larger screen, and the threads read like more user friendly/better display.

it would seem like the livewire is no longer in production. and wont be forsale within approx 1 year, when current stocks of said tuner deplete. but, it would also seem like everyone wants it, as the device itself is "highly desired". the device is apparantly a real good platform to tune from, just not so much in the display.

h&s, has been having communication problems with theirs. i read one post here, that the guy said he could not get the tuner to communicate with his truck, called h&s, and it seemed like they already knew what he was talking about, and shipped him a new one. thats the extent of my knowledge on that, and am not bashing, simply stating something i read.

then there is the various tuners available for the various devices. its mind boggling, to say the least.

if i forgot a device, please fill it in, as all i got here, is simply from several hours of reading on here, and probably missed some things.

im looking to buy a 6.4, hopefully here in the next few days. coming from a 7.3. a simple chip, shift-on-the-fly, and the only thing you really had to decide on was who's tunes to run.

there have also been threads, where you have to let the truck learn, and ppl having problems with limp mode, or the tuner being the main issue itself. is tuning a 6.4 that much of a problem? or is it just because of fords latest flash for the pcm, that tightened the parameters for limp mode, thats being the main problem?

im not looking for big power. im not goin to mod the hell out of the truck, with third turbo's, or 1000hp injectors, or....or....or..... tuner/intake/exhaust, and im done.

so knowing that, what device would you guys choose, and who to put on it?

to the guys that have ran various ppl's tunes, or the various devices, whats your input? the threads read, apparantly, eric at innovative, or kem, or h&s are the way to go, i just only want to buy something once, and be done with it.

i dont want to have to worry bout studs, or the trans, or the truck not learning, or miscommunications. etc etc. just a mileage increase, and a more peppy truck is all i want, preferably in a no hassle package.

which then brings up exhaust, egr, and intake.

benefits of dpf delete? do i want to delete it? what is the doc? do i delete the egr? do i....can i....what do i....will it hurt.....does it stay reliable..... what questions did i forget to ask.....you get the idea.

thoughts?

Last edited:

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
Dont buy a superchip........H&s is the only tuner that you can adjust on the fly, SCT livewire is what will be in my truck before long, Spatan is is good from what I have heard pluss jeff seems like a realy easy guy to deal with. If you want the milage the dpf has to go. If you dont want a bunch of oily tar like charcol crap running around in you engine and intake manafold get rid of your egr. With or without a wastgate is up to you.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
If you have any questions about the Spartan Phalanx, feel free to PM me. We can discuss all of the options you get with our tuner and package deals including the tuner, an intake, and exhaust options.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
I've ran spartan tuning through the dashdaq and now innovative tuning through the live wire...I personally wasn't a huge fan of how hard the spartan files shifted and the throttle was too touchy, their great guys, just their tuning wasn't for me, I love innovatives tuning, it's smooth power, shifts great and gives more adjustability options to the end user

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I've ran spartan tuning through the dashdaq and now innovative tuning through the live wire...I personally wasn't a huge fan of how hard the spartan files shifted and the throttle was too touchy, their great guys, just their tuning wasn't for me, I love innovatives tuning, it's smooth power, shifts great and gives more adjustability options to the end user

Our tuning has changed a lot since you went to Innovative tuning.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I run both spartan as well as innovatives tunes. They are both great options, I think for most people the difference will be the monitors (dashdaq vs livewire). Just a heads up, we can get both spartan tuners and live wires. Let me know if I can help.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
If you have any questions about the Spartan Phalanx, feel free to PM me. We can discuss all of the options you get with our tuner and package deals including the tuner, an intake, and exhaust options.

pm is all fine and dandy, but it takes to long to have a conversation. some people prefer that way, though. just not me.

ill call in the next few days. as long as your willing to talk about the other devices out there as well. why i want to choose your tuner over the others, and so on.

its just so much easier to have a 10-20 min conversation, rather than a 2 hours typed 10 min conversation.

i think better when im talking to.

currently, im leaning towards spartan for my tuning. i agree with you, that your tuning has improved lately, the past posts about your tuning, are different than the current ones.

just want this thread to percolate for a day or two, get some other feed back, to give me some more questions to ask, then ill call.

chromehound

Reaction score
The reason I have the Livewire is because it came with the truck. If I would have bought it myself I'd probably have gone with the Spartan/DashDaq combo. Now I'm going to end up buying a DashDaq just for the monitoring purposes and putting it in a deal from Rudys since I have found the Livewire is kinda hard to read and it takes up alot of space on the windshield IMO.

BFT

Reaction score
Spartan is good, only complaint was the shifting but it wasn't too unreasonable. I have one of the old 310 tunes and it's nice. 210TP was good since i do a lot of towing.
The monitor is an AWESOME device to monitor and data log. THere are potions to customizing your DD background. I haven't updated at all to their newer stuff so I can't say what their tranny shifting is like.

I only have the 345 from KEM but wasn't too fond of the power or shifting. It's a good tune but the seat of the pants power was very noticeable.

I have an SCT with erics tunes now and couldnt be happier. I started with an x cal but didn't work out to well for me this last turn around, it's most likely a bit finicky and sensitive. It since has been changed to the livewire and all has been good.
Not too crazy about the tow tune but the street tune is awesome for towing. Xtstreet is a fun tune and x race has strong smooth power. The option to change up shifting firmness and converter lock is real nice to have.

If mileage is what you're after then deleting that 50# piece of crap is a must. An intake is also a must when running larger tunes or anything 400hp and up. The EGR is the most pointless and useless thing and does nothing but harm on a diesel engine. I know spartan, KEM, SCT and H&S give the option to delete the EGR through tuning.
I also suggest getting rid of the coolers, which can be done can on.

A lot of the vendors here have good package deals and I'm sure will chime in soon

4tonGT40

Reaction score
Honestly I had the "hard shift" issue with H&S running KEM, but Mike adjusted it to my liking. Is spartan able to adjust tunes also? Or it is what it is? On another subject, did you get your ride back? Diggin the pod?

4tonGT40

Reaction score
The reason I have the Livewire is because it came with the truck. If I would have bought it myself I'd probably have gone with the Spartan/DashDaq combo. Now I'm going to end up buying a DashDaq just for the monitoring purposes and putting it in a deal from Rudys since I have found the Livewire is kinda hard to read and it takes up alot of space on the windshield IMO.
Get the spartan or the H&S and buy the dash pod from Rudy's that I make for them and it will free up some space and looks good......Bam! Problem solved

chromehound

Reaction score
Get the spartan or the H&S and buy the dash pod from Rudy's that I make for them and it will free up some space and looks good......Bam! Problem solved

Thought about that - just selling the Livewire and getting the Spartan/DD combo then adding the pod but I'll probably just end up getting the DD and the pod this summer. Who knows I've changed nearly every plan I had for this truck since I got it.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
The only update I haven't had is the one that came after thanksgiving...I've ran the v2 update and I think one after that?

The shifts were toned down in that update and the option for early lock and late lock was added in, along with some other minor fixes.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
pm is all fine and dandy, but it takes to long to have a conversation. some people prefer that way, though. just not me.

ill call in the next few days. as long as your willing to talk about the other devices out there as well. why i want to choose your tuner over the others, and so on.

its just so much easier to have a 10-20 min conversation, rather than a 2 hours typed 10 min conversation.

i think better when im talking to.

currently, im leaning towards spartan for my tuning. i agree with you, that your tuning has improved lately, the past posts about your tuning, are different than the current ones.

just want this thread to percolate for a day or two, get some other feed back, to give me some more questions to ask, then ill call.

When you give the office a call, speak with Mark or Spade. They will take care of you. Let me know if you need anything!

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I like my h&s. Had a sct live wire but I like the trans tuning of the h&s. Granted, I was and still am only running box tunes.

Sent from my IPhone

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score

thats what i was concerned about happening to me. needing one to tune, another to moniter. it would seem thats not really a concern after all.

Spartan is good, only complaint was the shifting but it wasn't too unreasonable. I have one of the old 310 tunes and it's nice. 210TP was good since i do a lot of towing.
The monitor is an AWESOME device to monitor and data log. THere are potions to customizing your DD background. I haven't updated at all to their newer stuff so I can't say what their tranny shifting is like.

I only have the 345 from KEM but wasn't too fond of the power or shifting. It's a good tune but the seat of the pants power was very noticeable.

I have an SCT with erics tunes now and couldnt be happier. I started with an x cal but didn't work out to well for me this last turn around, it's most likely a bit finicky and sensitive. It since has been changed to the livewire and all has been good.
Not too crazy about the tow tune but the street tune is awesome for towing. Xtstreet is a fun tune and x race has strong smooth power. The option to change up shifting firmness and converter lock is real nice to have.

If mileage is what you're after then deleting that 50# piece of crap is a must. An intake is also a must when running larger tunes or anything 400hp and up. The EGR is the most pointless and useless thing and does nothing but harm on a diesel engine. I know spartan, KEM, SCT and H&S give the option to delete the EGR through tuning.
I also suggest getting rid of the coolers, which can be done can on.

A lot of the vendors here have good package deals and I'm sure will chime in soon

and this is one of hopefully more posts i was hoping to get. a guy who had tried lots of different things, and simply stated what he did and did not like. no extra bs.

how much for that nice piece of guage pod??

When you give the office a call, speak with Mark or Spade. They will take care of you. Let me know if you need anything!

can do.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
and on a side note.

this is nice.

im noticing that the "tuner wars" from the 7.3 section are not here. must be a little more adult here. LOL

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
and on a side note.

this is nice.

im noticing that the "tuner wars" from the 7.3 section are not here. must be a little more adult here. LOL

Tuning for the 6.4 is pretty advanced at this point. Power numbers are roughly in the same ball park from all of the big name tuners and reliability seems to be about the same as well. It comes down to the tuning device for most people. Unless a person is loyal to a company.

Rene G

Reaction score
I gotta say that the newest Spartan tunes are their best to date, and the shifting is tamed down a lot while staying nice and firm. I recommend the 300 tune.

Latest posts

Members online