Going to look at a 2002 7.3

theameric0n

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been in the powerstroke community for a somewhat decent time now. Back from 2008-2010 i owned a 2003 6.0 f350. Then sold and joined the marines, after two pumps to afghan i have 6 months left and heading back home to ohio. Besides my life story i just need a little help on this truck i am going to go look at.

What are some things to look for ?

What are known problems on the 2002?

How many miles is to much for a 7.3?

How much would you pay for this truck?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/4582914929.html

bruce

Reaction score
Not a bad lookin truck, prolly nicer than anything in Ohio for 13k. Seems like a pretty good price.

powerjoke4life

Reaction score
I like to look for a couple things that will help to tell me how well the truck was cared for.
Oil Leaks, Oil Cooler. Start the truck cold and look to see if the oil cooler (Located on the drivers side of the motor) leaks oil. Look in the valley to see if the Hpop is leaking and last the rear main seal.

Secondly Make sure the steering is tight, sloppy steering tells me the guy doesn't care.

Have him let you cold start it if possible, look to the exhaust for white smoke..

You asked how many miles is too many for a 7.3. IMO it depends who owned it and how they took care of it. If my older brother owned it 100k, if my little brother owned it 500k.

I would pay 13k for that truck, its very clean but get the best price you can.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been in the powerstroke community for a somewhat decent time now. Back from 2008-2010 i owned a 2003 6.0 f350. Then sold and joined the marines, after two pumps to afghan i have 6 months left and heading back home to ohio. Besides my life story i just need a little help on this truck i am going to go look at.

What are some things to look for ?

What are known problems on the 2002?

How many miles is to much for a 7.3?

How much would you pay for this truck?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/4582914929.html

First off bring someone who knows these trucks being a 02 with 222k , Check inj., IPR,ICP, HPOP, oil leaks, how it runs, transmission shift undercarriage and maint. records. I made that mistake and I am paying for it now 200-250k Is when they need injectors usually. but other than that it is a clean nice looking truck Speak with TARM or golfer(dave) both very knowledgeable about these trucks. Good luck to ya buddy.

theameric0n

Reaction score
The guy said that he replaced the #8 injector over a year ago and no leaks or no problems with the hpop and the icp was replaced a year ago

Jason

Reaction score
I'd give $11k tops. And I would buy it without hesitation. I sold my '02 with roughly 290k, back almost 2 years ago to a forum member, and it was a great truck. I never had any issues with it, and I put roughly 150k of those miles on it. I didn't give it a thorough once over, and it was very good to me. My '00 had 200k when I bought it, and it's at 223k now, and I basically checked blowby, what oil and coolant looked like, and handed the cash over. I didn't get lucky on two trucks in a row, it's not rocket science either. Check blowby using the oil fill cap, check trans fluid appearance and smell, coolant, and if you got a way of pulling codes, and can check contribution, that may not be a bad idea, for a quick once over. My buddies father in law had a 450k mile 99 cclb 4x4 that drove just like a new truck aside from needing a tire balance something fierce, ajd having leaking uppipes, it ran great, drove excellent, and didn't give that man any major issues in the nearly 500k miles he put on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
#1 thing to look at is the TURBO compressor wheel,shaft play and the intake to see if any build up from how much chit was sucked in over the years.. oil leaks are pretty much a given on these trucks.. VERY, VERY rarely does a 7.3 leak oil from the rear main.. personally, I take my computer/scanner and hook it up and check out the health of the ole girl... like mentioned, it all depends on how well it was taken care of.. if I owned it all its life, it prolly wouldnt run at all... but an old dude with ocd on maintenance. sky is the limit.

alradco

Reaction score
These trucks bring good money out here in CA. Looks like it's in good shape but I are those some tears on the seats? Even with the higher miles I honestly think he'll get what he's asking for the truck. I've been offered $18k for my 02 7.3 and have passed. Just be patient if you pass on this one.

Also thanks for your service!

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Thank you for your service! Like the other guys said I'd start with checking the valley of the motor for oil leaks, turbo for shaft play, blowby, make sure the transmission fluid isn't dark or burnt smelling, and everything else that was mentioned. Around here a nice 7.3 like that would go for 15-20k.

bruce

Reaction score
I think i'd rather have the other one. The 03 is ugly imo and the k&n filter in a stock air box is known to dust engines

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think i'd rather have the other one. The 03 is ugly imo and the k&n filter in a stock air box is known to dust engines
might be lucky that it "never" went off road. pop the intake off and check out the compressor wheel. if its not smoked then might be ok.. put a tymar on it and rock on.

TyCorr

Reaction score
These trucks bring good money out here in CA. Looks like it's in good shape but I are those some tears on the seats? Even with the higher miles I honestly think he'll get what he's asking for the truck. I've been offered $18k for my 02 7.3 and have passed. Just be patient if you pass on this one.

Also thanks for your service!

Mileage doesnt really matter. I know what you are saying though. Ive seen trucks with a hair over 100k that wouldnt bring this much.

My truck is in good shape and its been maintained very well. I have body parts to basically redo the body. I also have the interior tentatively ordered to redo it. Dye a few pieces and fix my gauges. To be honest, there is no way id sell mine for 13 with those two major areas redone. I know its "old" but no way. Maybe as it sits now id take it but with paint and interior done 20 or a hair more. I saw an 04 6l with 186k that was done similar to where im headed. Front end was converted and inside was redone. Paint was clean. You know, the cookie cutter look everybody likes, lol. He had 28k on it and it was gone in a week. With new ones having 60k on the sticker and more, people will pay 20 for a clean, custom truck. Now an original just clean truck, no way.

Latest posts

Members online