grease seal leak

96OBS

Reaction score
Okay guys my trucks rear passenger side grease seal started leaking on a trip so I replaced it. I followed all directions and tightened it all down. Well its still leaking, I've seen it pretty much ever since I replaced it. There are little grease trails all down the tire. I know that the lock nut on the hub has to be tightened down right. I tightened it until it started clicking. Do I need to replace again?

mandkole

Reaction score
The inner oil seal or the oring on the outer cap?

For the inner, I've been happiest with the 2 pc CR scotseal from NAPA. Its turquoise in color, seals on itself and does not require special presses to put in place. Its very much like the factory seal. Older hubs can be a little rusty/pitted so some strategic placement of silicone is also good.

MOE

Reaction score
Hey OBS96, did you ever get to the bottom of you idle problem??

96OBS

Reaction score
No I never did. I think it is normal. I've been driving it for 1000 miles and no prob. Its just a slight little drop. And I'll take a look again at the seals.

MOE

Reaction score
Thanks, was having the same problem with idle. Also had a bad seal on the right rear, did you use the OEM Seal. I you need a part number or some info on the seal I have it.

Thanks

96OBS

Reaction score
I figured if it was any major problem the check engine light would come on. Lol. But I'm pretty sure it is just a normal 7.3 lope. I was used to a non lope Cummins. Lol. But I'm gonna take wheel back off and see. That only thing I can think of I did wrong is tightening the hub back down. I just tightened until it clicked.

Latest posts

Members online