Gunked up intake

6speedsd

Reaction score
About to tear the truck down for injectors. I know my intake is full of gunk. Doing the ccv mod while I'm at it, but I want to clean that thing out. We do NOT have a machine shop local, so hot tank is out of the question. If you were to do this yourself, what would you use? I've thought about Oil Eater, or even soaking the whole thing in gas, but we are talking about aluminum so I don't know how good of an idea that is. I'd like to soak it in something for a day or so to break that mess up, but what should I soak it in?

webb06

Reaction score
We use a hot water pressure washer and some powerful degreaser soap at our shop to clean them. Might consider taking them to a carwash after letting it soak in soak. I bet dawn soap would be pretty good stuff

G Racing

Reaction score
If doing one myself I will use a hot tank. You can use purple power, let it soak, use pressure washer then repeat till clean. I have found a local radiator shop that has a vat for aluminum. I drop it off and pick it up the next day and it is spotless. Well worth it for me to have them do it.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I cold tank them first, then I run it through a steam washer at my machinist. Works pretty well for what I need. I would not recommend you take anything oil saturated to a car wash for cleaning. If you live in the boonies, I would try finding a tank or bucket big enough to fit the manifold in or atleast one half. Full it full of mineral spirits, let it soak for an extended period of time, then rinse and repeat until clean. Granted, you won't get it spotless but it should break up a lot of the residual caked on garbage

6speedsd

Reaction score
Don't live in the boonies. That's why I decided against filling it with gas. Nowhere to dispose of the gas when I'm done.

Would oil eater work? Or is that too harsh for aluminum?

webb06

Reaction score
I cold tank them first, then I run it through a steam washer at my machinist. Works pretty well for what I need. I would not recommend you take anything oil saturated to a car wash for cleaning. If you live in the boonies, I would try finding a tank or bucket big enough to fit the manifold in or atleast one half. Full it full of mineral spirits, let it soak for an extended period of time, then rinse and repeat until clean. Granted, you won't get it spotless but it should break up a lot of the residual caked on garbage

Just because of the general public seeing it? Or what is your reasoning?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea, I can't use that stuff. Remember I live in a city, in a subdivision. I need something non toxic. Might try Purple Power...seen it mentioned several times. Maybe even a mixture of that and some heavy duty dawn dish soap. See how that works.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well I plan on letting it soak from the time I get it off until I get ready to put it back on. Probably close to a day I'd say.

agent

Reaction score
i just cleaned mine, soaked it in simple green and hot water over night powerwashed it and used some brake cleaner and powerwashed it again and it came out real clean. long process but i had nothing else better to do because i had just had knee surgery....

6speedsd

Reaction score
I keep hearing power washing being the ticket, but there are only so many areas you can get to on that intake. Under the intake elbow and around the intake ports themselves is obvious, but what about the areas between the front and the first port? Hope degreaser does a good enough job that the water passing through will break it loose?

Latest posts

Members online