H&S Minimaxx ******s exhaust brake?

1stock13

Reaction score
I'm using can tunes on my minimax 4, in tow setting with the tow haul button engaged, I have no sort of exhaust braking it feels like. I'm using manual mode to keep the rpm's above 2 grand but still nothing. I was only towing 9k but still, shouldn't there be something there once the brakes are tapped?

1stock13

Reaction score
13, I knew it wasn't an exact term for it, but shouldn't it alter the veins in the turbo or something?

1stock13

Reaction score
no. tow/haul is strictly a change in transmission strategy

so what is the actual point of the VVT? I was under the assumption the opposing fins where to provide a reverse flow to slow the engine down. What I'm am I missing here?

Notneb

Reaction score
Well the point is to make boost sooner in the rpm range and keep it longer later in the rpm range, by manipulating the case geometry, pretty much giving you the best of a small turbo and a big turbo, without the weaknesses of both. That's "layman's" terms btw...

1stock13

Reaction score
Well the point is to make boost sooner in the rpm range and keep it longer later in the rpm range, by manipulating the case geometry, pretty much giving you the best of a small turbo and a big turbo, without the weaknesses of both. That's "layman's" terms btw...

So that design has nothing to do with slowing the engine down when off the throttle what so ever, what is ford claiming on the 15' and 16 as an exhaust brake then?

jcain

Reaction score
Yes, the vanes are closed to provide back pressure to slow the engine down. The 11-14 sst vgt turbo is just very weak at it.

1stock13

Reaction score
Yes, the vanes are closed to provide back pressure to slow the engine down. The 11-14 sst vgt turbo is just very weak at it.

I knew I wasn't a complete dumbass, thanks for the reassurance.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So that design has nothing to do with slowing the engine down when off the throttle what so ever, what is ford claiming on the 15' and 16 as an exhaust brake then?

because they actually designed it to work on a turbo VERY capable of making it work. we have it working on the tow tune of the sct tunes we are selling .

1stock13

Reaction score
because they actually designed it to work on a turbo VERY capable of making it work. we have it working on the tow tune of the sct tunes we are selling .

So my question reverts back to the original post.

Does the stock 11-14 truck with the stock tune and egt equipment have more exhaust braking in the tune than my deeleeeted H&s tune truck, and with MCC tuning can it be written into my tow tune, or would it make any difference without the 15' retrofit.

Notneb

Reaction score
This was your original post:

I'm using can tunes on my minimax 4, in tow setting with the tow haul button engaged, I have no sort of exhaust braking it feels like. I'm using manual mode to keep the rpm's above 2 grand but still nothing. I was only towing 9k but still, shouldn't there be something there once the brakes are tapped?

Which has been answered: no, the 11-14 turbo sucks when it comes to a lot of things, that included.

So unless you swap out for a 15-16 turbo, which is completely different, then stock or not, you're not getting any "exhaust" braking.

Latest posts

Members online