H&S Single 64mm Turbo Kit install/review

jcain

Reaction score
Initial testing, damn. A roughly ~10pt smaller turbine really made a noticeable change. Picked up ~3psi and moved the power band over (read: down/sooner) 150-200rpm. It'll lite all 4 up with ease. More testing tonight when I meet up with a studded 6.4.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Initial testing, damn. A roughly ~10pt smaller turbine really made a noticeable change. Picked up ~3psi and moved the power band over (read: down/sooner) 150-200rpm. It'll lite all 4 up with ease. More testing tonight when I meet up with a studded 6.4.

Do you know the specs on the 6.4? Good luck, I'm in for the results:tree:

jcain

Reaction score
No dice on the 6.4, our schedules didn't line up. But I did get to see how it did next to a brand new 15 denali duramax cclb. It was bad, very bad, as it should be.

jcain

Reaction score
For anyone that is looking into these turbo kits, here's my unbiased take on each turbine housing:

If you are going to tow: spool housing (no brainer)

If you are going to bolt this kit on and don't want to deal with tuning the smoke out and want it to act very similar to your existing stock setup: spool housing

If you are not going to be adding extra fuel: spool housing

If you want a mean stop light to stop light truck: spool housing

If you have tall gears (3.31) and 35" + tires: spool housing

If you want to do freeway pulls: sport housing

If you are willing to do some custom tuning to limit the smoke: spool housing

If you are planning to throw tons of fuel at it and don't care about smoke: spool housing

If you want a badass sounding turbo: either or

Now that I have a couple hundred miles on this new smaller housing, I feel that the above assessments are very fair.

I hope to get it on the dyno again very soon to have a visual aide to show how much sooner this thing makes power.

The smaller spool housing is starting to make boost at 1350rpm and is full potato at 1650 or so.

Last edited:

Cc2cuz

Reaction score
That's great info!! It's definitely going to help people decide which way to go. Only makes me wonder though. Since I slapped this H&S turbo on my mpd pedestal it happens to be a divided one. I wonder how much a divided pedestal affects it all?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
That's great info!! It's definitely going to help people decide which way to go. Only makes me wonder though. Since I slapped this H&S turbo on my mpd pedestal it happens to be a divided one. I wonder how much a divided pedestal affects it all?

nothing noticeable.

jcain

Reaction score
Just made a 492mile roundtrip and burned 25.58 gallons yielding 19.2mpg overall. Speed varied from 55-85 and hit a small traffic jam in a construction zone.

Weather was 63* in the morning and peaked at 88* during the day. I drove with no cruise control on the way there and the wife drove with cruise on the way home.

Only had one puff of smoke the whole way and it was on cruise control descending a long hill and immediately rolling into another abrupt hill. I'm not sure if I can tune that one out, cruise control is very aggressive sometimes.

Overall the truck never exceeded 2000rpm while cruising the freeway. It could drag a hill at 70mph in 6th and never smoke. 6th will hold all the way down to 66 (~1500rpm) and be able able to chill there (~675egt) until the throttle is pressed too much and it'll downshift before it ever smokes.

3.31s and 35s is perfect so far for this turbo set-up.

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
I want it so bad. Please dont post any more startup and idle videos as the sound of the spool might cause spontaneous wallet draining

jcain

Reaction score
Went to a dyno day a few mins from the house. This is NOT the same dyno I've been using so take the numbers with a grain of salt. Also, it was a non loaded dynomite so there was no impressive 1600rpm torque numbers.

This is the "spool" housing and my tuning.

Best pull was 564.8hp @ 3400rpm and 719tq @ 3272

Latest posts

Members online