had a good laugh @ the stealership!

'08burn'em'off

Reaction score
I took my 08 in for an oil change the other day( I take it to the dealer cause the oil changes are free till 135k). So I was waiting in the lobby and of course the advisor come over to try to sell me $1500 worth of fluid services. Front/rear diff, t-case, trans, radiator, brake, power steering and fuel system services. Man are they proud of their stuff. Kinda laughed at him and told him when they can complete an oil change in under 2hrs I'd let them change the air in my tires! He didn't find it funny.

I do have a couple questions:
-What do yall recommend for fluids as far as the diff and t-case?
-Is it really necessary to flush the power steering and brake fluids? I don't hual very much or very heavy anymore.
-What does a fuel system service intail?

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Fuel system service is changing the fuel filters

They call it a system service when it's a filter change. Some times I swear they word things they way they do cause they can charge more for it.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Brake fluid absorbs moisture. It's a good idea to change it every so often.

Look in your owners manual. You'd be surprised at the intervals. Especially on the axles.

'08burn'em'off

Reaction score
Yeah I know I can do most of the stuff myself. But it really irked me cause on the invoice the guy had fuel filters and then diesel fuel system service a couple lines down.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Gravity bleed your brakes during the warmer months and you dont need that.bs. I agree with the service procedures but I dont agree with the costs. But thats how it works. I have always done it myself and just as often as the service manual suggests. Its not rocket science but i just honestly cant afford to spend eight grand a year on service. My 12 dmax is serviced/maintained by the dealer and the deal.is when it gets traded they give me what they are.going to sell it for minus the expense to have it up to snuff fo their lot or auction. And a little profit obviously.

Not to.derail but the 08 I traded for the 11 we were given 31k and they sold it for 35k. Thats one decent reason to pay those service fees if they'll agree to the deal.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Gravity bleed your brakes during the warmer months and you dont need that.bs. I agree with the service procedures but I dont agree with the costs. But thats how it works. I have always done it myself and just as often as the service manual suggests. Its not rocket science but i just honestly cant afford to spend eight grand a year on service. My 12 dmax is serviced/maintained by the dealer and the deal.is when it gets traded they give me what they are.going to sell it for minus the expense to have it up to snuff fo their lot or auction. And a little profit obviously.

Not to.derail but the 08 I traded for the 11 we were given 31k and they sold it for 35k. Thats one decent reason to pay those service fees if they'll agree to the deal.

How the heck do you get them to agree to a deal like that?

TyCorr

Reaction score
The trade in that took place for the 08^ that I spoke of was an 06 cclb dmax. It was in great shape and had 115k on it. It was purchased new as was an identical truck for a different contractor we used to employ. He didnt have the dealership do his maintenance and in fact was fairly lax in his maintenance. He got waaay less when we traded in. He was going to trade his in, I should say. He skipped it when his truck earned 25k in trade in and ours even though it had 10k~ miles more in mileage, got 35 for it. They put that on the lot for 37995. It cost 15k to upgrade. I think they actually like the.deal we have going because there arent a lot of used, in new condition, with over 100k miles diesel trucks laying around. There could be, but there arent around here. So they can offer a truck for 20 less than new that might only be two model years old. None of these have sat on the lot for more than a week.

They go for this deal.because they know there will be one, maybe two new cclb diesel trucks rolling off the lot every year from one.customer. Now.that they sell dodge.and ford too there'll never be any reason for us to leave even though we're sick of the silverado/duramax platform.

As far as breaking even, i doubt it. We would.have to be money ahead. Our trucks prompt.an oil.change every 10k. Usually its 300ish. Once in a while something is effed up and they replace it, unless its warranty, the service is a little more that time. Having serviced the truck one time I know the oil changes would.have to be about a grand each time before we were getting a worse.deal.at trade in.

Its not for everyone but when you have to have a reliable.diesel towrig everyday its the best way,imo. Drive the truck for two years and then trade it for a couple grand below msrp.and do it again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.