Hard cold start

fbilly420

Reaction score
I am having a strange issue with a friends truck (100% stock 2002 195K). It is hard to start when cold, it turns over slow but if you keep cranking it will start. After hard start get P1211 code but it is high icp. Cold start IPR duty cycle 5% and icp is 1500 psi @ idle. Not sure where to go with high icp. Brand new icp sensor and pigtail. Same result with old icp that was replaced because leaking. Any pointers would be great

Arisley

Reaction score
I am having a strange issue with a friends truck (100% stock 2002 195K). It is hard to start when cold, it turns over slow but if you keep cranking it will start. After hard start get P1211 code but it is high icp. Cold start IPR duty cycle 5% and icp is 1500 psi @ idle. Not sure where to go with high icp. Brand new icp sensor and pigtail. Same result with old icp that was replaced because leaking. Any pointers would be great

Check the batteries, battery cables and grounds, and the starter.

fbilly420

Reaction score
Tested batteries and they checked out ok. Replaced starter and POS battery cables as they looked to be in rough shape. Turns over much faster now. Still have to crank for 10 - 15 sec before it will start. Still getting P1211 on start up when oil is cold IPR 5% DC and ICP in 2K-3K range at idle.

Booney

Reaction score
I was having hard starts, switched to 5w40 synthetic and haven't had issues since. Just a suggestion

co04cobra

Reaction score
Tested batteries and they checked out ok. Replaced starter and POS battery cables as they looked to be in rough shape. Turns over much faster now. Still have to crank for 10 - 15 sec before it will start. Still getting P1211 on start up when oil is cold IPR 5% DC and ICP in 2K-3K range at idle.

What are you scanning with? 5% DC and 2000-3000psi isn't even possible at idle. Is the scanner in KPA?

David N

Reaction score
Ive had bad batteries check good. Put new batteries in, and started like a wet dream. How old are your batteries?

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Did you test your glow plug relay? I used to have the same exact issue until I replaced my starter and my glow plug relay now my truck fires right up and the only evidence left of bad injectors is the blue raw fuel smelling smoke and a slight bouncing idle until it's warm

ZombiePopper

Reaction score
If your GPR needs replaced it'd be a good time for the monster relay mod from Diesel O Rings, $55, money well spent.

Latest posts

Members online