Head studs and Gaskets

Cajunhunter67

Reaction score
Thinking about doing this in the future. 110K miles. No problems. Been tuned for almost 50K of those miles.
What is the average price yall have been paying for this job? Just wondering what to expect.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Your location will make a difference on the price. Assuming you remove the heads (not doing the 1 at a time), I received quotes from $3500 to $4500 which included decking the heads and magnaflux. If you do have them done I would suggest upgrading the valvetrain (springs and push rods) and replacing the rockers and lifters (OEM). This is also a good time to do a 6.0 exhaust manny and upgraded up pipes. IMO, as long as you can have your truck down for a little while, if you aren't puking or don't plan to do other upgrades while in there, I would wait until you have an issue. There is a pretty good chance your HG will eventually fail, your up pipes will crack, or your HPFP will start to get weak and that's when I would do them.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
My Ford mechanic told me the book calls for 40 hrs to change the lifters on a 6.4. Once the heads are off its not much more to do the lifters. We did mine cause there prone to fail. Studs and gaskets can be had for $650 or less on line plus whatever fluids and such.. I did new heads cause I had a feeling mine were cracked, and turns out they were. Also upgraded springs and push rods to. Rockers were shot so did those. Added a HP pump to just to make sure mine didn't fail soon..a ported intake and exhaust manifolds and pipes also seemed like a winning idea while the cab was up. Triple disk converter sounded fun to.. Then there's a front cover, glad we looked cause mine was wearing through...

Food for thought, save up for more parts and address a few other things while your in that deep.

Last edited:

Cknox121

Reaction score
My Ford mechanic told me the book calls for 40 hrs to change the lifters on a 6.4. Once the heads are off its not much more to do the lifters. We did mine cause there prone to fail. Studs and gaskets can be had for $650 or less on line plus whatever fluids and such.. I did new heads cause I had a feeling mine were cracked, and turns out they were. Also upgraded springs and push rods to. Rockers were shot so did those. Added a HP pump to just to make sure mine didn't fail soon..a ported intake and exhaust manifolds and pipes also seemed like a winning idea while the cab was up. Triple disk converter sounded fun to.. Then there's a front cover, glad we looked cause mine was wearing through...

Food for thought, save up for more parts and address a few other things while your in that deep.

Did you do new cab bolts, exhaust mani bolts, exhaust gaskets, hpfp cover gasket, intake gaskets, the 2 long and 2 short high pressure fuel lines, copper washers and orings for injectors?

I know rockers probably need to after inspection.

Better yet, can you post a parts of all the ford OEM gaskets, fuel lines, etc that you used?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Yes I did do every single over of those. Also add upper and lower valve cover gaskets. New RCD ex manifolds and pipes came with new bolts. Did not need new cab bolts.

dsberman94

Reaction score
PM someone from MPD when your read. They'll get you everything you need parts and gasket wise. Might want to look into the extreme studs bigrpower is selling.

Cajunhunter67

Reaction score
Well I don't have access to a lift for cab removal for the heads? Up pipes were replaced last year under warranty. Missed my opportunity for head gaskets and studs, but didn't have the funds for it. My guess is I will be paying a shop for the entire job. Not too excited about that. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.