head studs? how much can this engine handle

Reaction score
at what point would we need to put head studs in these 7.3's?
Everyone has diff. opinions on this. I have always been told the head bolts are good to 500hp. With proper tuning ect.
My opinion, it has everything to do with back pressure. And good tuning.
Recently I blew both head gaskets but knowing it was bound to happen.
Now knowing what I know, I highly recommend supporting mods first before you throw the power to it. Yes all depending on what your goals in HP are of course.
What are your goals?

Wicked

Reaction score
Basically anything over 200cc injectors needs head studs.

Could you run a 238-250cc for awhile without headstuds??? Posiblly but you wont be happy to foot the bill when push those heads up.

The head studs are fairly cheap insurance and if you have tools you can do them yourself, its not necessarily difficult its just time consuming.

OSCS

Reaction score
Shop around you can get them for under 600. If you have a torque wrench and a weiner do it yourself. I did it in my drive way by myself with a floor jack and a 4x4 wood block. I never removed the AC box or alternator bracket. It's not hard at all, while your in there spend the extra $350 and swap out springs and pushrods.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Been just shy of 500 HP for a couple years now with stock head bolts. No issues. However, I just received my h11s in the mail from WOP, so guess what I will be doing very soon. Also, if u don't drive your truck like an idiot at those HP levels, you can go a long time without studs

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

TARM

Reaction score
Back pressure IMO has nothing to do with the need for or against headstuds. Even positive boost psi in and of itself doesn't IMO. Now the effects boost has on other factors certainly does but its not direct. Consider what the highest BP you have seen with a bad turbo setup or one pushed way past its range. Now consider what the static CP of a cylinder is when you test it just by cranking it over without any detonation. 400-450psi? Compared to what a super high BP woudl be like 100-150 even 200. Now consdier what the CP is when a engine on the power stroke is producing 1000-1500 ftlb tq. At the most basic level the amount of torque your engine is producing has a direct correlation with the amount of cp. That CP is being held by the studs or bolts. At a more tech level how and when the actual pressure curve is also has a significant effect IMO. I agree BP can be damaging and is something to be avoided but I do not believe it has an effect on the clamping force between head and block.

IMO tuning has a lot to do with it but at some point CP will be too high for bolts to hold. If you want to play it safe from what I have seen 1000 ftlb tq would be a swag as a line. That of course is with original factory sealed heads.

Last edited:

4duggan

Reaction score
The way I understand it , do injectors, studs , springs and p/r in one job.

Just my $.02.

I have kinda been building backwards. Just about have my supporting mods complete. BTS been in the truck a year and a half, traction bars,Martys fuel sys., still need to get ae and want another gauge or two, back-up healthy forged rod motor on the stand.:pint:

Have my H-11, springs and rods sitting on the shelf waiting on that last penny saved so I can call Swamps and get me some 250's.

Latest posts

Members online