Head studs....pulling the cab parts

riemer

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I talked to a company today (i believe they support this forum)and was quoted $4500 to just do studs. It included a new oil cooler (not surei need one) and having the heads checked.

I thought that was a little high. So i figured i'd put together a list of parts as a DIY project.

JuststrokeIT

Reaction score
I got a buddy that had studs done at ford and it was 4500 for just factory gasket swap studs were extra and it didn't include any machine shop time in the quote. Granted it is a dealership.Does that valve grind kit include new injector orings,copper washers and turbo seals or are those extra.

Last edited:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ford claims not to use them because of the locktite on the bolts.

They claim that using an impact is what makes the nuts spin. I have had them spin either way, doesn't really seam to matter.

Put your lift arms under the body, and stretch the truck upward a bit. Alternate from bolt to bolt loosening them up a little at a time.

This doesn't allow the nuts in the steel cages to slack up and blow the cage open.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Once they are loose one time they are golden goose. Some trucks are easier than others fo sho. Even after my reg cab spun one it has no issues now

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Once they are loose one time they are golden goose. Some trucks are easier than others fo sho. Even after my reg cab spun one it has no issues now

just grind the residual loctite off the bolts for security.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Here is how we lifted mine and done a few others as well. Its a 6x6 board with 2x4s nailed on to match up on the pinch welds. We used the back hoe before we had the crane on the truck. Works really well!

Attachments

• 574498_4367133894273_1539093026_n.jpg
    574498_4367133894273_1539093026_n.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 73

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I would say about 2.5 hours if you don't have any issues with the cab bolts.

I've done one in about an hour, I know others have done it faster.

First time plan on 3-4 hours

Things like amp steps, stereo equipment, Ect complicate the cab removal process.

Last edited:

MorganY

Reaction score
Second the not using an impact on the cab bolts, unless you knock the heads off of the bolt with a torch. I always replace the cab bolts, and many times I find mounts are detiorated. Made the impact mistake on the first 6.4 cab I pulled.

Latest posts

Members online