Headlight foot dimmer switch again...

Charles

Reaction score
So I do miss the ol floor switch but what did you do back in the day when you wanted to turn the radio up? Took you hand off the wheel. And now with most 6.0 to 6.7s you don't have to take your hand off the wheel for that reason. So they have traded high beams for radio, also the wheel stays in my hand when I flick mine on or off. First world problems....

You're in the middle of a sharp right-hand turn and here comes an approaching car, lol.

As for the radio, my left hand stays on the wheel at all times.... right hand does EVERYTHING else because it's on the RIGHT side of the wheel. Radio, heat, cool, defrost, vent, gearstick, trailer brakes, move stuff around in the truck, grab something in the truck basically everything other than steering the truck... it's ALL over ------->

But, by forcing such a common function as high breams that you HAVE to address immediately, as opposed to at your leisure like the radio, onto the left side of the wheel, while you have to operate EVERYTHING ELSE in the truck with your right hand.... meaning your left hand must be on the wheel and yet as soon as a car approaches on anything but straight road, you have to take that hand OFF the wheel to dick with the little plastic pos high beam switch while your left foot's been completely asleep for 6 straight hours in the floorboard.

And you can't exactly switch the radio or hvac controls with your LEFT hand.... so keeping your right hand on the wheel all the time isn't so much an option...

Shifting gears with the left hand is pretty much reserved for cell phone calls, and high beams AIN'T happening when that's the case..... oh, unless your vehicle has a foot mounted switch.... then pretty well ANYTHING can be happening in the truck and you can just CLICK..... low beam.... then CLICK high beam, lol.

So easy a caveman can do it. Just not a modern automotive engineer...

ftast350

Reaction score
So really your making a sharp right hand turn while turning up the radio, changing the temp and wantING to turn off the highbeams eh? Hmmm sounds like you just need to prioritize and watch the road as you should be able to see on coming traffics headlights prior to meeting them and you could most likely wait until your out of the corner to turn them back on. It also sounds like you know how to set it all up with out a relay so just do it already.

JRLott

Reaction score
Really? Five friggin pages of justification for the necessity or uncesessarry requirement of a stomp switch? I want it is justification enough. I don't want it is absolutely fine too. Personally, I'd like one simply because it is much more satisfying bright lighting some jack ass that thought your low beams were bright. That said, I'm too damn lazy to do the modification even when one of these fine fellers posts the details of how.

cbf9703

Reaction score
^^yep. I'm curious to see the final set up just because.

So really your making a sharp right hand turn while turning up the radio, changing the temp and wantING to turn off the highbeams eh? Hmmm sounds like you just need to prioritize and watch the road as you should be able to see on coming traffics headlights prior to meeting them and you could most likely wait until your out of the corner to turn them back on. It also sounds like you know how to set it all up with out a relay so just do it already.

I'll agree with some of this, but you've obviously never travelled some windy, hilly back roads with no lights or even poles and wires...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I plan to put one in my Ex but I will use it to control my light bar. Going to replace my fog lights with a light bar and will be able to switch it on and off using the foot switch. That way I don't have to worry about blinding oncoming drivers.

And if they forget they have their brights on, a quick double tap should remind them LOL

Charles

Reaction score

NO dumbass...

Just make any ***ing right hand turn and meet a car. Done. You now have to take your hand off the wheel to dim your lights because your left hand is at ~3:00 on the wheel... and the plastic pos stalk is at ~9:00...

How ***ing stupid do you have to ***ing be to comprehend something as simple as that?

Ever wonder how many times you can explain the simplest ***ing thing before it's one too many? We're there. Holy sh*t this world is full of morons. Walking morons...

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Drives ED teaches us to have 2 hands on the wheel. So maybe your doing it wrong Chuck.

"Plastic POS stalk"......LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
Have you gotten closer to this yet Charles? I'd do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles

Reaction score
Have you gotten closer to this yet Charles? I'd do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine that it could take more than a couple hours. I don't have a lot of time and this is low on my list. This thread wasn't mean as a "hey, look what I'm doing" but a question for info to anyone already having done it.

Whenever I get around to it I'll describe what I used to do the job. I can easily imagine at least 4 ways to do it right off the top of my head, was just interested if anyone already cleared a path. Easier not to reinvent the wheel when you don't have to...

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you took an old one out of a truck and soliced it into the brights would it turn the brights on and off or kill the ***kin headlights depending on stalk location?

Edit: or would you remove the brights from the mfs and wire them into floor tap?

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
NO dumbass...

Just make any ***ing right hand turn and meet a car. Done. You now have to take your hand off the wheel to dim your lights because your left hand is at ~3:00 on the wheel... and the plastic pos stalk is at ~9:00...

How ***ing stupid do you have to ***ing be to comprehend something as simple as that?

Ever wonder how many times you can explain the simplest ***ing thing before it's one too many? We're there. Holy sh*t this world is full of morons. Walking morons...

Haha I was going to chime in. Guess this sums it up

Latest posts

Members online