headstuds?

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
my truck is in the shop and has the heads coming off of it to check the cylinder walls. im trying to decide if i should stud it while its apart or just let them put it back together with bolts? and where is the best place to get them if i do get them????

Spatel23

Reaction score
why not do the studs and other minor things while its apart?
pushrods, fuel rails, etc.

Make sure you get the heads checked also.

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
why not do the studs and other minor things while its apart?
pushrods, fuel rails, etc.

Make sure you get the heads checked also.

i would if i could afford it but im low on funds right now, if this stuff waited about 2 months i would probably be able to get that far in to it.

i actually didnt even think about the heads getting checked.

is there any reason that you can think of that they would pull the heads because of a bad rocker? the tech told me he was going to pull them to check the cylinders but is that normal procedure?

White_monster

Reaction score
To remove lifters you pull the heads. To inspect the cylinders you don't pull them until you are confirming something seen with a boroscope. There's missing info and something sounds fishy to me.

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
maybe the heads are coming off to change the lifters then.i dont know alot about the internals of these motors so i had to ask. i know he wants to change all of the rockers so maybe he is planning on lifters too?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Definitely do head studs. I recommend H-11 studs, but the ARP studs will be plenty and they are much cheaper.

cbenn47

Reaction score
Just had my studs replaced with H11's, got them from Rudy's, for the slight difference in price between the 2 I would go with H11's, keep in mind if you need to go back in for some reason you can reuse the H11's, the ARP's I was told were not reuseable.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
From what we've seen arps are better and won't blow gaskets as much
And arps can be used 3 times before they are trash