headunits

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Anybody have any input on Sony? Supposedly this new deck they have coming out is sweet.

IMO they make ****ty head units... I've had my fair share of HU's and sony is my least favorite. That being said I currently have a Sony (sig) and it downright sucks. The touchscreen is laggy and the interface blows.

I've waited a long time to say that. LOL

Opinions may differ but that's what I have to say. My next investment will either be another Clarion or KW.:D

Danbonzo

Reaction score
IMO they make ****ty head units... I've had my fair share of HU's and sony is my least favorite. That being said I currently have a Sony (sig) and it downright sucks. The touchscreen is laggy and the interface blows.

I've waited a long time to say that. LOL

Opinions may differ but that's what I have to say. My next investment will either be another Clarion or KW.:D

I have heard that the Clarion stuff has come a long way over the last few years and is much improved.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Before my current sony I had a Clarion and as far as I can remember I really liked it. Other than the Kenwood DNX9990 everyone is aware of, the Clarion NX702 looks like it would be a good buy. I haven't looked into the details as I'm not shopping for a head unit yet but it did catch my eye while browsing and I've had good luck with Clarion before.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Before my current sony I had a Clarion and as far as I can remember I really liked it. Other than the Kenwood DNX9990 everyone is aware of, the Clarion NX702 looks like it would be a good buy. I haven't looked into the details as I'm not shopping for a head unit yet but it did catch my eye while browsing and I've had good luck with Clarion before.

I'm not a huge stereo guy. I am a guitar player, so I do understand much of the jargon. That said, I've looked(listened) through a whole wall of HU' s and picked a 100 unit over 900 dollar units. I've never really gotten car audio simply because price forces some people to think something has to sound better. Granted its subjective as hell to argue about sound as its preference based. I just notice some things like unintentional compression, inefficient power sections(headunit is out of breath at 1/4 volume) that begin to distort early on, and gadgetry added to spitshine what is actually a huge turd overall.

I've found Pioneer, Infinity, and some JBL stuff to sound best to my particularly trained ears.

Sony does make.some tinny sounding headunits. They are so incapable of developing midrange that they are aurally hollow. My take is you have to spend twice as much to get a Sony that will trade blows with a competitors HU. They know this and don't care. I tried to return one of their units due to horrible sound. Using an equalizer and amp couldn't clean up the sound. I hesitantly removed heir brand new hu and purchased a pioneer.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
IMO they make ****ty head units... I've had my fair share of HU's and sony is my least favorite.D

I gave up on Sony three head units ago when I went to pioneer

I still have two of those in vehicles working great and the third I pulled out of my last truck and it will probably go in my boat since it works great also

my Sony:doh: stuff I still have also 2 HU/3 cd changers and a high dollar eq

I had one head unit fixed other than that all the other stuff crapped out

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I'm not a huge stereo guy. I am a guitar player, so I do understand much of the jargon. That said, I've looked(listened) through a whole wall of HU' s and picked a 100 unit over 900 dollar units. I've never really gotten car audio simply because price forces some people to think something has to sound better. Granted its subjective as hell to argue about sound as its preference based. I just notice some things like unintentional compression, inefficient power sections(headunit is out of breath at 1/4 volume) that begin to distort early on, and gadgetry added to spitshine what is actually a huge turd overall.

I've found Pioneer, Infinity, and some JBL stuff to sound best to my particularly trained ears.

Sony does make.some tinny sounding headunits. They are so incapable of developing midrange that they are aurally hollow. My take is you have to spend twice as much to get a Sony that will trade blows with a competitors HU. They know this and don't care. I tried to return one of their units due to horrible sound. Using an equalizer and amp couldn't clean up the sound. I hesitantly removed heir brand new hu and purchased a pioneer.

Exactly, sound as it is perceived is subjective as you pointed out, therefore what may sound great to one may sound like crud to another. Ear of the beholder if you will... Personally I look to other components of a system to improve on my perception of the final product, namely the sound. Speakers, clean power and a sub do more to "put the power to the ground" IMO. If all you one doing is throwing a new HU in and expecting a radical improvement [sound] I think the results will be marginal at best. Granted there is more head room from an aftermarket head unit's amp, but the built in equalization that the aftermarket HU lends more support to tailor the sound to the environment which is another overlooked factor in the equation.. sound dampening, crossovers, sealed vs. ported subs..etc.etc..lots of things to consider here other than head unit. My choice of HU was based more on features related to price and reputation. For me I wanted navigation, blue tooth, 6" touch screen, DVD (with ability to bypass lock out) and decent built in MOSFET amplification, equalization, reliability, and a good price. The Pioneer fit that bill for me, IMO great bang for the buck.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
got it in. love it! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348091180.096266.jpg

Eric@HolderdownPerformance

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
Yup, as simple as swapping 1 wire in the units harness. Enjoy it...

I will! already am. do you know how I can run pandora over Bluetooth? like on the little Bluetooth app on the deck, not just through the Bluetooth audio section-I can do that.

also it said something about apps on the box-what the heck is that?

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I will! already am. do you know how I can run pandora over Bluetooth? like on the little Bluetooth app on the deck, not just through the Bluetooth audio section-I can do that.

also it said something about apps on the box-what the heck is that?

Not quite sure what you mean. Just run the Pandora app on your phone then stream it via Bluetooth to the headunit.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean. Just run the Pandora app on your phone then stream it via Bluetooth to the headunit.

essentially I need the special cord from pioneer to run the appradio, and pandora on the nav screen. I found out. thanks tho. I'm so pleased with the unit. love it.

me2

Reaction score
Tell us about your rear seat DVD.

Is it connected to the HU ?

Can the head unit run nav, say, and still send a movie to the rear seat DVD ?

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Tell us about your rear seat DVD.

Is it connected to the HU ?

Can the head unit run nav, say, and still send a movie to the rear seat DVD ?
It's a pioneer 12" screen flip down
Yes the guy that installed it all is a mastermind when it comes to car audio. He was a little worried taking on this project as it was his first 2011 but it came out great.

I can watch a movie on the HU while a different one is on in the back or I can play my music through the HU while a movie is on the rear and have wireless headphones for the rear. it will play the same movie from HU to rear or rear to HU. NAV works while a movie is on the rear as well. I can flip back and fourth on the HU from the movie that's playing on the rear to NAV music or another movie.

He is installing the head rest screens next. He also routed the backup camera so I can flip an aux switch and it will come on driving down the road.

Sent from a crack house somewhere in the hood.

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Sorry for the extremely bad punctuation and confusing write up but I was listening to a meth head tell me his life story while I was on PSA.

Sent from a crack house somewhere in the hood.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.