Help on engine build...

Downey

Reaction score
Little back history. Bought my 05 ccsb last July with 160k on it studded, ******d exhaust and intake . Well 30k later of beating on it and towing heavy 13k fifth wheel around my head gaskets are blow. So time to tear down the engine.

Thoughts are:
New heads if needed
O-rings no matter what
190/30 injectors
Kc stage 2 diy turbo
Fass fuel gen4
Regulated return
Bigger hpop if stock won't hold injectors
Fuel sump
Cts2 with 12v
Stand pipes and dummy plugs
Cold side charge tube.

Will I get any performance out of...
Stage 2 colt cam
Hamilton push rods and valave springs

Do I really need cam and rest of valve train upgrade? Is there anything that u guys would add?

Suggestions?

Want to try and hit the 600-650 mark but still be able to tow max with correct tunning.

Reaction score
We're heads machines the first time studs were done?

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I dont know about the performance upgrade of the cam, but it is supposed to help with spool up. It probably wont hurt anything, but you are getting near where the cams start chitting themselves mileage wise. Definitely do lifters and push rods, and i would recommend valve springs as well. After tearing meine apart after running charlies stage 2 & 3 turbos really hard, i had valve imprints on my pistons. I ended up putting reman ford heads on due to cracked injector cups, and put valve springs in the new heads after seeing the marks. Cheap nsurance in my opinion.

Downey

Reaction score
I dont know about the performance upgrade of the cam, but it is supposed to help with spool up. It probably wont hurt anything, but you are getting near where the cams start chitting themselves mileage wise. Definitely do lifters and push rods, and i would recommend valve springs as well. After tearing meine apart after running charlies stage 2 & 3 turbos really hard, i had valve imprints on my pistons. I ended up putting reman ford heads on due to cracked injector cups, and put valve springs in the new heads after seeing the marks. Cheap nsurance in my opinion.

Kinda where I was at. Cheap insurance and helps with spool up and maybe lower the egts a little.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I have a .020 over motor with a RCD billet stage 2 cam, RCD 120# springs and chromoly pushrods...along with a bunch of other stuff. If you do the cam...gonna hafta do the springs and pushrods. There are gains with a cam. Better valve timing resulting in more hp, tq, little bit better spool up and lower egts.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
you will not exactly notice performance gains on your cam upgrade, but any time you add fuel an air to a motor, cam work will help magnify those upgrades. I noticed the red truck with a stage 2 cam in it had a much smoother power curve that was very constant. prior to the cam we would get 1 decent run on the dyno and the next 2 would just fall off. now were running extremely consistent multiple runs in a row.

first thing I would suggest is deciding what your goals are with the truck and put your list together from there. Tons of different setups work great but you need to figure out what your going to use the truck for first, then put it together based on that.

Downey

Reaction score
you will not exactly notice performance gains on your cam upgrade, but any time you add fuel an air to a motor, cam work will help magnify those upgrades. I noticed the red truck with a stage 2 cam in it had a much smoother power curve that was very constant. prior to the cam we would get 1 decent run on the dyno and the next 2 would just fall off. now were running extremely consistent multiple runs in a row.

first thing I would suggest is deciding what your goals are with the truck and put your list together from there. Tons of different setups work great but you need to figure out what your going to use the truck for first, then put it together based on that.

Main goal is to dd and tow my fifth wheel that weights 13k. Plus the occasional sled pull and trip down the strip. Just for fun

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.