Help/Opinions on rust (pic) and solutions through warranty/out of pocket?

67Stroke

Reaction score
Ok so bed is about $1700 and paint etc is another $1700...so about $3400 total. Thats not great by any means but I did somehow think it might be more. I have found a few short beds but the travel time and or shipping and painting will add up just as quickly to about the same from ford.

How much roughly would the floor replacement cost? any reason why it would be so much compared to the new bed option?

Also, if everything is sealed and linexed with a new floor do I really risk future rust?

Thanks!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Ok so bed is about $1700 and paint etc is another $1700...so about $3400 total. Thats not great by any means but I did somehow think it might be more. I have found a few short beds but the travel time and or shipping and painting will add up just as quickly to about the same from ford.

How much roughly would the floor replacement cost? any reason why it would be so much compared to the new bed option?

Also, if everything is sealed and linexed with a new floor do I really risk future rust?

Thanks!

Replacing the floor is labor intensive. It will save you no money and not be as good of job as a new bed. Even sealed, it is very hard to stop the rust where you have to join the floor back together because of welding.

67Stroke

Reaction score
Makes sense. I'm heading to Ford today and will ask their opinion on what needs to/should be done and get a few quotes.

Thanks for all the help so far.

67Stroke

Reaction score
My ford dealer isnt exactly the most knowledgeable but I got some good info.
1. Apparently this isnt as bad as it seems and can most likely be blasted/sealed/linex'd
2. A bed floor is an option ($600 from ford) but they were unable to quote labor time frame
3. A new bed is $2000 but they were unable to tell me if it then needs paint

All in all better than expected. I also took the truck to our local body shop/diesel truck do it all shop. He also said it isnt as bad as it seems and that it can be blasted/sealed/and coated.

It does actually look much better (relatively) today being dry than it did in the picture I posted.

I am going to dig a little more on ford and speak to another service manager to get some more info.

Thanks for all the help.

67Stroke

Reaction score
Update:
Still waiting on Ford warranty verdict (I know its a long shot).

Quotes from Ford Dealer:
New bed $2090
Paint and install $800

So I can get a new bed for $2890 or Sandblast/Linex for around $850 and hope it holds up. The ford body shop guys said its in good enough shape (the underside shows no signs of rust/damage coming through) to just linex it and be done with it. And then source a bed down the road if it was needed.

Assuming the sandblast removed the rust, leaving enough metal left, and the sealant and linex were applied properly, would the rust then stop? Or could it come back?

Also, if i did need a bed eventually, how hard would it be to find one? Are the 2011-2015 beds the same? would I be able to find a 2015 bed in a couple of years?

Thanks for all the help!

sootie

Reaction score
yes, the rust will come back.
Yes, the 11-16 beds are the same.

ultra2207

Reaction score
I think the key here is that your truck is white. Shouldn't be too awfully hard to find a good used complete bed in white. Might take a little time but you'll find one. Me personally, I would absolutely replace it with a used bed. It should be a fairly cheap option and it'll give you peace of mind that it's "right" and won't need attention down the road.

sent via tapatalk

67Stroke

Reaction score
I agree now that replacing it is the only way to go. I wouldn't be able to not think about it otherwise.

Most beds I am finding within pick up range are either not new take offs and have some damage or are so close in price that I might as well just buy the ford bed direct and have the work done by ford employees.

Also, I am supposed to officially find out tomorrow about ford hq's warranty decision. My local ford service/body shop managers seem to think that ford will warranty it since its a 2011 and they think that although it has had other damage, that there was most likely a paint issue during the manufacturing process also. They found two spots that are consistent with manufacturing defects in their opinion. We will see. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Members online