High Engine & Idle Hours | Learnt Me?

TLyons90

Reaction score
So I am still trying to wrap my head around this and hoping you guys can shed some light. Upon helping a buddy purchase his last 6.7 and purchasing my current 6.7, I started trying to do as much research as possible on the "high engine/idle hours" situations. From what I gather from most everybody and such is that it is 25 miles multiplied by the number of engine hours to get your "true" mileage of the vehicle. Most everything I read was how bad it was to have high engine/idle time. Therefore leading up to my question.

What with these trucks makes high engine/idle hours bad? Is it the emissions crap that these new trucks have that make it bad? Once fully ******d both ***/DEF & EGR is it fine at that point and not as big an issue? What exactly is it?

For me personally I start any diesel I have ever owned up before I leave and let it warm up for at least 10 mins. After that depending on the drive/distance of where I am going and how long I am going to be away from the truck before jumping back in it to drive away, I would either let it stay running or shut it off. Thus all this adding to that time and possible issues. Hopefully you guys can learnt it to me so I can understand more. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

T_W6.7

Reaction score
someone will probably correct me, but that seems to be the old way of thinking for owning a diesel, these newer ones don't need to be idled near as long before driven and you can certainly shut them off when you're going in somewhere. That is if ambient air temps are warm, when it's cold outside letting them idle isn't terrible other than you do risk potential cylinder wash down from fuel that isn't burned.
To answer your high engine hours/high idle hours question, yes the emissions stuff is the reason high idle hours are bad, getting rid of the stuff would definitely help that situation out in the future, but these trucks have a lot of blow by and combine that with Exhaust Gas Recirculation soot then you have a heck of a mess in you intake/intake manifold.

dmd

Reaction score
Even on my older truck it idles while I put on my seat belt and then a few mins
drive out of the neighborhood to the main road. If it is really cold I will
take it easy on building up speed once on the main road until the temp reaches the
bottom of the normal range.

Only way to get heat in the engine is to give it a load, that is what driving does. A cold
engine gets soot, cylinder wash down, fuel in the oil, and wear. Get it going and just
drive easy until the fluids start warming up.

Last edited:

TLyons90

Reaction score
someone will probably correct me, but that seems to be the old way of thinking for owning a diesel, these newer ones don't need to be idled near as long before driven and you can certainly shut them off when you're going in somewhere. That is if ambient air temps are warm, when it's cold outside letting them idle isn't terrible other than you do risk potential cylinder wash down from fuel that isn't burned.
To answer your high engine hours/high idle hours question, yes the emissions stuff is the reason high idle hours are bad, getting rid of the stuff would definitely help that situation out in the future, but these trucks have a lot of blow by and combine that with Exhaust Gas Recirculation soot then you have a heck of a mess in you intake/intake manifold.

That was kind of my thoughts as well. Wasn't sure it was more hurt on the engine its self vs hurt on the emissions stuff.

Even on my older truck it idles while I put on my seat belt and then a few mins
drive out of the neighborhood to the main road. If it is really cold I will
take it easy on building up speed once on the main road until the temp reaches the
bottom of the normal range.

Only way to get heat in the engine is to give it a load, that is what driving does. A cold
engine gets soot, cylinder wash down, fuel in the oil, and wear. Get it going and just
drive easy until the fluids start warming up.

Fully agree! I never start it right up and get down on it. Just let it warm up decently and then slowly drive it until up to operating temp. Then it is free game.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Fuel dilution. Especially with emissions intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLyons90

Reaction score
Fuel dilution. Especially with emissions intact.

Now if you ****** emissions, change your oil more frequent, and no longer idle excessively will this take care of any future fuel dilution or once its been done, you cant go back?

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Now if you ****** emissions, change your oil more frequent, and no longer idle excessively will this take care of any future fuel dilution or once its been done, you cant go back?
Fuel Dilution is an issue with the oil,the oil gets diluted with fuel,from Regeneration ,not the motor.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Engine hours?

I let my truck run on high idle all day to keep the inside at a comfortable temp. Them cooled seats aint gonna cool themselves.

TLyons90

Reaction score
Fuel Dilution is an issue with the oil,the oil gets diluted with fuel,from Regeneration ,not the motor.

This I know, but with fuel in the oil that means it is in the motor which means if you don't change the oil then it could probably wear stuff out faster.

Engine hours?

I let my truck run on high idle all day to keep the inside at a comfortable temp. Them cooled seats aint gonna cool themselves.

That's a fact! My truck was idled and ran a lot to giving it higher than usual engine/idle hour scale. Heard it's not good and thus trying to figure out why.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
The fuel used to "stack"in the cylinder when idling.instead of a clean burn, some unburned fuel was left behind. Washing the oil residue from cylinder walls causing wear and ending up eventually in the oil. Also causing damage to bearings because of fuel diluted oil.

That was supposedly with old trucks, it was explained to me with the new style piezo injectors in our trucks that is no longer an issue. The emissions stuff is more a problem now

Why guys used to do high idle mod in addition to running accessories faster. it was believed that increasing the rpms kept the fuel burning cleaner and more complete which prevented the fuel pooling in the cylinders

Last edited:

DDurrett

Reaction score
Glad this come up. At work during extreme hot or cold days my truck idles 12 hours at time with high idle kicking in and out. I know the ****** will help alot but after ****** how bad would it be on the motor to idle all day.

wiseguy

Reaction score
The most important issue with hours is life of an engine. typically we used to measure engine life in miles. problem with miles it does not take idle time in consideration for example an ambulance may only get a 50 miles a day but may run for several days straight. a 6.0 powerstroke only has a average lifespan of 7000hrs 6.6 lbz duramax may last 15,000hrs that may only be 20,000-40000 miles in an ambulance. but that could easily be 300,000-600,000 miles in an over the road truck. Engine life and maintenance should be measured in hours and miles. Another way to look at it is think of off road equipment like skid steer or loader or a excavator, you would want to know how many hours are on them you wouldn't care about miles. But if someone told you they had skid steer with 20,000 hours on it a equipment operator turn and walk away not even make an offer because they would assume it is all worn out .

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
:whs: If you are going to let your truck idle all day, do your maintenance based on hours. While fuel dilution is still an issue with non emissions equipped trucks, the hi idle times being an issue is mostly for the emissions equipped ones. Extended idling plugs the ***, as it never gets hot enough to burn. This is why ford put the operator commanded regen in on the base clusters. If the exhaust is empty, just do services based onhours, you should be ok.

TLyons90

Reaction score
Appreciate all of the replies and information! Any more knowledge is welcome to the table to keep this thread up!

Completely agree on the off road equipment point and hours. I work for Ditch Witch and that's exactly how we do our maintenance intervals is based off the hours. I agree with that as well as miles (whatever comes first) for when you do maintenance on our trucks to.

Mainly wondering if I should be scared of my truck or not with the engine and idle hours it has based off the mileage which is far from normal. But looking upon the Oasis report it has not had any abnormal issues.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
I wouldn't be scared of it, I would just be very religious about regular maintenance and oil changes, maybe get yourself some of that LE 5w-40 and a couple used oil analysis's and see where you're at

TLyons90

Reaction score
I wouldn't be scared of it, I would just be very religious about regular maintenance and oil changes, maybe get yourself some of that LE 5w-40 and a couple used oil analysis's and see where you're at

I think that is my plan. Gonna run an analysis report first oil change and see where I'm at. Then after that be religious and take the best care of her I can... I'm an Amsoil fan boy :blah:

WichitaF250

Reaction score
I know it's not even in the same ballpark, but my first diesel was a 92 idi n/a with 200k on it. Got it from a mom and pop road construction crew who got it new in 92. I got it in 01 from the dad. He said it would idle all day for 8-10 hrs 5-6 days a week as needed. I put another 150k on it no issues but changed oil every 3k just because. Used/leaked 1/2 quart oil in 3k miles like clockwork. I wasn't easy on it pump turned up 2-3 flats. The guy I sold it to in 07 still uses it today, on his farm. I guess I just got a good one.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
High Engine & Idle Hours | Learnt Me?

The fuel used to "stack"in the cylinder when idling.instead of a clean burn, some unburned fuel was left behind. Washing the oil residue from cylinder walls causing wear and ending up eventually in the oil. Also causing damage to bearings because of fuel diluted oil.

That was supposedly with old trucks, it was explained to me with the new style piezo injectors in our trucks that is no longer an issue. The emissions stuff is more a problem now

Why guys used to do high idle mod in addition to running accessories faster. it was believed that increasing the rpms kept the fuel burning cleaner and more complete which prevented the fuel pooling in the cylinders

It's still a thing, and very bad on some new engines. I test hundreds of trucks made by everyone using every oil imaginable every week. Fuel dilution is Big deal.

Last edited:

TLyons90

Reaction score
I know it's not even in the same ballpark, but my first diesel was a 92 idi n/a with 200k on it. Got it from a mom and pop road construction crew who got it new in 92. I got it in 01 from the dad. He said it would idle all day for 8-10 hrs 5-6 days a week as needed. I put another 150k on it no issues but changed oil every 3k just because. Used/leaked 1/2 quart oil in 3k miles like clockwork. I wasn't easy on it pump turned up 2-3 flats. The guy I sold it to in 07 still uses it today, on his farm. I guess I just got a good one.

I think some have it in them to do stuff like that no problem and others don't. Obviously like you said tho to, not the same ballpark, because the way vehicles were made back then and now are completely different. Manufactures actually wanted quality not money back in the day...

It's still a thing, and very bad on some new engines. I test hundreds of trucks made by everyone using every oil imaginable every week. Fuel dilution is Big deal.

I agree. My 03 LB7 Duramax after its 1st analysis report was 10% fuel in the oil. Goes without saying it was sold a week later...

Latest posts

Members online