High Idle problems

Randy_270

Reaction score
So winter is coming and I live in a cold area so my high idle is important to me. The story of how this happened: I bought the truck in September 2012 used with the high idle already installed with a knob to adjust rpm. My high idle worked every time I flipped the 4th aux. switch right up until I installed my Spartan tuner. It worked that day, installed my tuner and exhaust in the end of February, backed my truck out of the loading bay at my work and flipped the switch as usual... and nothing happened. Flipped the switch several times and still nothing. For the month of March it would work about once every 10 tries. April comes and it works maybe once every 20 tries (yes I tried a lot). May comes and it stopped working completely. So I think its a fuse and Ill get to the fuse before next winter but for the summer it doesn't matter. Junes now here and every once in a while I randomly flip the switch for sh*ts and giggles and nothing. About middle of July I'm digging through my center console while the truck is running and end up bumping my 4th aux switch up and the high idle comes on (my parking brake sensor is disconnected and has been since I bought it so all I have to do is flip up my aux switch and the high idle comes on). Now its the end of August and my dad is borrowing my truck because his has a broke front cv axle, he pulls up to my house in my truck because he forgot something and flips on the high idle and it comes on again. So now I'm not thinking its a fuse because if it was the high idle wouldn't work at all. Could the tuning have anything to do with it?? If any one has any idea of what could be the problem probably has a better guess than me because I have no clue... So any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

sagebel

Reaction score
I had my high idle set up the same way on my '11, a pot powered from aux 4. My e-brake circuitry was not touched. Never had a problem. Always worked when told even after the H&S was installed. Haven't installed it on the '12 yet. I would hook the e-brake back up for the hell of it and see if it works more consistently.

Randy_270

Reaction score
I had my high idle set up the same way on my '11, a pot powered from aux 4. My e-brake circuitry was not touched. Never had a problem. Always worked when told even after the H&S was installed. Haven't installed it on the '12 yet. I would hook the e-brake back up for the hell of it and see if it works more consistently.

If it was the e-brake sensor I think the problem would have started as soon as it was disconnected?? It worked perfectly, and I used it a lot, right up until I installed my tuner...

edit: I hope that didn't come off rudely, wasn't intended to be rude

Last edited:

sagebel

Reaction score
No worries, this is the internet. The only reason I suggested hooking up the e-brake was to eliminate it. Does the Spartan get power from anything other than the OBD port? I would take a look up under the dash to see if any of the wires for the high idle are loose. A loose wire would explain the intermittent operation.

Randy_270

Reaction score
The Spartan just hooks up to the OBDII port and that's it. Tomorrow while its bright out I'm gonna take a look under the dash and follow all the wires to rule that out. Also if I can figure out how to plug my e-brake sensor back in I will try that as well.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
I realize I'm months behind this thread, but I need more information on this High idle setup. Had on on my 6.0L and used the hell out of it. Would like it for my 2011. Thanks.

sagebel

Reaction score
I realize I'm months behind this thread, but I need more information on this High idle setup. Had on on my 6.0L and used the hell out of it. Would like it for my 2011. Thanks.

I used a potentiometer from Radio shack. The knob is sold separately.

potentiometer.jpg

IMG_7887.jpg

I added some extra wire and mounted it in the 12v bezel. I am powering it from one of the switches in the bezel as well.
6E12D457-3E99-47B5-8993-0649D91DA9A8_zpsuciof4pz.jpg

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Do these trucks not come with high idle? Never paid attention when starting mine this winter... What about exhaust break?

live life full throttle

sagebel

Reaction score
I have noticed that mine will have a slightly higher idle on cold mornings when I use the remote start. Keep in mind that my cold morning here in Albuquerque is about +26.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.