High iron and aluminium

4cstr

Reaction score
Hey guys need some opinions. I did my first oil change and sent off for an analysis. To be clear dealer did them before I did. Oil had 4776 miles on it and truck had 19xxx on the odometer. Blackstone came back and said that iron and aluminum was high (62 & 32 respectively). I don't tow a lot and when I do we cross the scales at 24k which I don't think is heavy and not out of the truck specs. They want me to resample at 3500 miles. Do I take this report into my dealer? I'm a bit freaked about this.

4cstr

Reaction score
Hope this works from my iphone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 82

CoreyMS

Reaction score
Just throwing some things out there, does it sit much? 20k on a 2012 seems like it. Many short trips?

4cstr

Reaction score
It is mainly used to tote our camper. During the winter I try to drive it once a week just to get it warmed up and running. That 4700 miles was over a 16 month period. So yeah it doesn't see a lot of constant road time. But yesterday it saw 14 hours of towing time to Colorado, so it does get used. I just refilled with Rotella 5-40 synth which the dealer said was fine as long as it met the API rating.

CoreyMS

Reaction score
It is mainly used to tote our camper. During the winter I try to drive it once a week just to get it warmed up and running. That 4700 miles was over a 16 month period. So yeah it doesn't see a lot of constant road time. But yesterday it saw 14 hours of towing time to Colorado, so it does get used. I just refilled with Rotella 5-40 synth which the dealer said was fine as long as it met the API rating.

With that explanation I wouldn't be worried about the sample that much. Its from the sitting IMO. When you do run it make sure it warms up good and I might would change the oil a little sooner time wise.

Last edited: