highest towing horsepower

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
I've tried to search for this information but I can't seem to find it.
I have an 05 Excursion that in the future I plan on doing a suspension swap from an 05+ 350 for strength, so my estimated max towing I want to be safely capable of is around 12,000-14,000 pounds. I want to know what are approximate power levels capable of safely towing this much, both single turbo and compound. Obviously compounds will be much more capable with less egts.
I don't have set in stone future goals, but I don't want any restrictions to towing ability, and I know I'm getting an addiction to power. Currently I'm just bulletproofed, tuned and exhaust with just over 400/800 wheel hp and torque.
No huge plans for lift and tires just a 4" lift and 35"s, love that stance
Thanks for the advice

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
IMAG0233-1.jpg

it's not really a vest, I have a bumper bar on the front of my truck that I can spread my Kevlar ballistics fabric across for frontal zombie/military protectionLOL
Here's a pic for you without my top secret "vest"

560puller

Reaction score
I tow 14000 on a regular basis. Studs, deleted, exhaust, and gearhead heavy tow tune. If you want a toy build a toy, if you want to tow heavy leave it alone. I have no egt issues and plenty of power. The stock turbo is fine for towing heavy and easy to control temps with.

bbbxcursion

Reaction score
The hitch on your excursion isn't rated for 14k. If you really want to tow safely, look into getting air bags and a 20k pullrite hitch and say goodbye to sway. It made a night and day difference for my truck.

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
I should clarify, i plan on towing a 7-10k pound travel trailer and would *like* to be able to tackle a bit higher than stock rating for small rows in case of emergency not as a regular thing. I would definitely invest in a weight distribution hitch and all supporting mods necessary for a sturdy tow. The ex hitch is rated for 11,000 bbbxcursion, your 2000 year hitch is only rated for 10,000 they changed the bolt sizesi think 03 or 04.

I don't plan on making stupid power and being restricted to a race only build. I want a versatile truck capable of towing and have good power. I don't see 500 horses being a major issue to tow with if set up properly, and maybe 600 and change with compounds?

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Best towing hp. 550hp on a innovative diesel street file. Best all round towing hp. Even a 5.9 cumapart with upgrades that makes 550hp on a mid power file. built a few of those, its nice to hold over drive and pull with the torque band and not have the rpm screaming at you, heating everything up

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
Best towing hp. 550hp on a innovative diesel street file. Best all round towing hp. Even a 5.9 cumapart with upgrades that makes 550hp on a mid power file. built a few of those, its nice to hold over drive and pull with the torque band and not have the rpm screaming at you, heating everything up

And I'm assuming that's with a single turbo? I don't necessarily mean towing power, I would be perfectly fine with 400-450 towing but what I mean is on a custom tune would it be unreasonable to make 600 and still be able to swap tunes and tow heavy.

Sprman

Reaction score
The set up in these pics are 468hp at the wheels with 5.5" lift on 36's. 5th wheel is around 12k lbs and no idea on the tractor, but pulls with ease and all vitals are in good shape. Get about 13 mpg when towing.

photo.jpg

Truckpullintractor.jpg

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
You get 13 towing? I only get 13-15 in the city empty lol
That's awesome is that tune what you run all the time or do you swap to a street file?

Sprman

Reaction score
You get 13 towing? I only get 13-15 in the city empty lol
That's awesome is that tune what you run all the time or do you swap to a street file?

I run Matt's custom tune 24/7! I don't have a "street" tune. I was surprised how well it did towing with the tune. I'd get around 16-17 mpg normal driving and to get 12-13 towing was pretty sweet to see. All hand calculated as well.

I do have to say, now with the 68mm turbo and the truck still not running right (although we're working on it), I get about 12 towing the Jeep around.