Home built camper

superpsd

Reaction score
So back in 14' I started building a lightweight pop up truck camper. Very compact on a budget. Aluminum construction. All 6061-T6 and riveted jointed brackets cut from a chunk of angle aluminum. Skin is also 6061. Polystyrene sheets cut to fit the wall spaces and then wood paneling.
I used it a couple of times and some hunting trips. Nice and cozy but not enough room even if I finished the pop up half for a full 6' of clearance. It is kind of a large insulated canopy now. Then last spring I decided to use the same construction design and build a 12' camper on a trailer kit.
I morphed two trailer kits together and had to widen one axle. I also used stainless tek screws instead of rivets as it cut a lot of time and frustration from the project. The camper saw its first 700 mile voyage this last hunting season. Still not finished as I need to wood panel the interior and add a few windows that I have stored.
IMAG0200_zps8wddr8co.jpg

IMAG0304_zpscrlyleh5.jpg

IMAG0327_1_zpsiyigjfyu.jpg

IMAG0686_1_zpslzbkbusz.jpg

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
That's pretty cool! What's your opinion on diy equipment trailer fabbing? I have all of the equipment to do it but have not taken the time to figure up the equipment costs.

Koda22

Reaction score
Looks cool, but is there more to it, or is just a box....I mean does the interior have anything or just a bed?

superpsd

Reaction score
The hole you see towards the front of the trailer floor is where I installed the black water tank and toilet. So far just a bathroom. I still plan to run some electrical outlets and finish the interior. I have a possible future idea of building a rear slide out for more interior space. All I would have to do is rip the rear wall back down and fabricate another box that slides to the rear. That is something I am looking at. Also need to fabricate a wind spoiler for the front to cut down on air resistance. The camper is likely around maybe 1000 lbs. I can move it around easily once it is unhooked. The truck acts like it's not even towing.

Latest posts

Members online