horrible fuel mileage

83f350

Reaction score
I have a 2000 f350 ext cab longbed 4x4 7.3 only mods are 6637 filter straight piped and edge evo 2. And a of recently it's been getting horrible fuel mileage like around 7mpg. I just replaced all the filters and oil, and the manifold ambient temperature sensor, waiting on ICP sensor to come in and i'll replace that as well. The brakes aren't dragging either. any help would be appreciated thank you.

83f350

Reaction score
Its got 265k on it with supposedly new injectors and trans. Its got 3.73's in it and its a mostly around town without beating on it, and yes the speedo's correct.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
stock size tires and lift? ebps and tube clean? is it a smokey pig? boost leaks? up pipe leaks? how old is all the fluid in the trans, tcase, and rearend? how much idle time do you let it have? whats your reasoning for wanting to change the icp sensor? any codes? is it in 4x4 or do you leave the hubs locked in? front end alignment good?

83f350

Reaction score
suspension and tires are stock sized. I haven't checked the ebps but I will tomorrow, it doesn't smoke and theres no boost or up pipe leaks. trans fluid still looks good but changing this weekend, not sure on t-case and diff fluid I changed maybe 4k ago. not much idle time maybe 10min to warm up in the morning. and I'm changing the icp sensor because it threw a code and because if I unplug it the idle doesn't change. alignment is good and in 2wd with unlocked hubs.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you used a boost leak detector? everything else sounds good... lots of times the up pipes leak on the back side of the pipes where you cant even see it.. reach back in there or look up from underneath the truck and see if you can see better that way... if ebps and tube are plugged its usually goes hand and hand with poor mileage... might just have some horrible fuel in it... whats your fuel pressure? hows the hpop pressures? might try a couple cans of sea foam in the tank or couple quarts of kerosene..

83f350

Reaction score
I have not used a boost leak detector. but if I had a leak would I still be able to hit over 20psi? and i'll check the uppipes tomorrow, how can I get fuel pressure and hpop pressure?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
any tunes on your truck? hpop needs a scanner to read psi or make a gauge that can go to 4000psi... fuel pressure needs a gauge.. scanners don't read that..

83f350

Reaction score
I have an edge evo2 on it for now. and I have a scan tool so i'll find that tonight. whee should I test it at? and where would I hook up a guage for fuel?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have an edge evo2 on it for now. and I have a scan tool so i'll find that tonight. whee should I test it at? and where would I hook up a guage for fuel?
yeah you should be able to hit over 20 psi even with a caned tuner on your truck. fuel psi is measured from a port on the top rear side of the fuel bowl and will need an adapter from orb to npt in order to do it right. or find a fuel rail plug in the heads those should be npt already.. what kind of scanner do you have? plug it into the obd port under the dash and find engine data stream and scroll down till you find icp and icp duty cycle.

Why does the ebpv tube being clean affect mileage

sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

its another parameter that the pcm reads for adding fuel.

live life full throttle

83f350

Reaction score
I have a snap on solus scanner. And what are good icp and duty cycle readings? Do I need to be driving the truck or is idling good? And I can hit over 20psi. What's fuel pressure supposed to be?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
record idle psi and dc and while cruising and at wot... just because you can hit over 20 psi doesnt mean you still dont have a boost leak. whats your boost at cruising speeds and wot?.. get boost leak detector and check it.. fan clutch froze up at all or does it spin easily?

live life full throttle

83f350

Reaction score
alright, I'll see if I can get someone to read me the numbers tomorrow. and if im crusing at 45-50ish I beleive i'm pushing 1-2psi. and at WOT it's 26 i beleive. where can I get a boost leak detector? and the fan clutch spins freely

Latest posts

Members online