How do i get the downpipe out?

RedRice589

Reaction score
Exactly as it says, i traded my Dpf off my old truck for a 4 inch downpipe and 5 inch exhaust with a 6 inch black MBRP tip. What are the secrets to get the downpipe off? Thx

JMart

Reaction score
I have heard sawzall and cut it half, but I never replaced mine while I had my 6.4. Is the new one a two piece?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Cut it or pull the trans.

Yes the aftermarket downpipes are 2 piece

Motostroker

Reaction score
Jack up trans and support it and remove crossmember, or cut it out with a sawzall

RedRice589

Reaction score
Well i was wndering how i get it off the turbo? I can cut it no problem but i had the clamp undone but it wouldn't come loose is there more to it? Its a two piece flo pro.

Last edited:

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Just get the clamp loose on the back of the turbo and hit the downpipe with a rubber mallet. It is probably just being held on by some built up soot. It will come loose with a few taps with the rubber mallet. There is absolutely no reason to pull the cab to get the down pipe out.

OBS F350

Reaction score
I always hit the downpipe with an air hammer in very short bursts to break it free, since you're not using it anymore you don't have to worry about damaging it. I never took the downpipe off my 6.4 so idk if there is room to get an air hammer in there, other then that get a long pry bar and get it on the seam were the DP is butted up agaisnt the turbo and give her a couple hits and it will pop right off.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I posted a thread on it when I did mine cant remember when though.
Drop it off the turbo and get as low to the ground you can.
Use a sawzall with an 8" blade. Cut it as high as you can.
Drop it out. Will have to rotate it some but mine came out pretty easy.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Sweets thanks guys and no i will not pull the cab to do it even though it is considerably easier... although if i drop the trans i could do it and the oil cooler rigght? Or am i mistaken? I know the oil cooler is usually done with headstuds just wondering if i can get to it without pulling the cab.

Chris.v

Reaction score
Just undo from the turbo and wiggle it down as far as you can and cut it above the crimp with a good size metal sawzall blade.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Sweets thanks guys and no i will not pull the cab to do it even though it is considerably easier... although if i drop the trans i could do it and the oil cooler rigght? Or am i mistaken? I know the oil cooler is usually done with headstuds just wondering if i can get to it without pulling the cab.

Yes you can do the oil cooler without pulling the cab. Not sure if you can do it without pulling the turbos though. The pedestal kind of hangs over it IIRC.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
You would deffiently would have to pull the turbos to get to the oil cooler. It is not going to be fun cab on, but it can be done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.