How not to do it...

Atsah

Reaction score
Correct tongue weight can be a matter of life and death.. I have had this happen in front of me many times when I pulled a gooseneck a lot on the freeway.. They may get away with not enough tongue weight on a slow side road but up over 50MPH and it's bad news..

Cody

Reaction score
ive almost had this happen on an aluminum tilt trailer with a mower on it..

luckily i noticed the trailer wagging the truck and looked back and saw the mower sliding backwards... slammed on the breaks and it came back forward.. ended up my buddy never set the parking break after putting it on the trailer.. i about **** a brick..

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
i had it happen towing my mudder on a 24 foot bumper tow behind my 06 duramax. never flipped it. just let off the throttle and held on. got er straight and got off the highway and took the backroads slower

ezzyke

Reaction score
I wish I had a pic of the 3 series that went in the lake because the guy thought just because it had a trailer hitch it could pull his boat. He got kind of upset when I told him that was made for a bike rack not a GD boat. He tried to say it was BMWs fault because the e-brake didn't hold his 20 foot ski boat on the ramp.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Hitting the truck brakes does make it worse.
I have had this occur a little when i had my 96 Impala to far back on the trailer.
Just a little wiggle I felt in the truck.
I hit the trailer brake controller and hammered on the truck right when the trailer got right behind the truck then slowed the truck down with the trailer brakes.
Dont know if this was right, but I remember a buddy telling me when a tow behind stars to whip, do not hit the truck brakes.
This was with my old 04 F350 SRW, not the dually. I dont think too much will make that ass end wiggle

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
Correct tongue weight can be a matter of life and death.. I have had this happen in front of me many times when I pulled a gooseneck a lot on the freeway.. They may get away with not enough tongue weight on a slow side road but up over 50MPH and it's bad news..

yup...60/40 or 55/45...weight more towards the tongue...

Wow why would you not slow down?

Because it can happen so fast you can't "catch it" before it's too late...

..it may pull fine at 60mph...but at 62mph the chit could hit the fan...you never know until it's too late.

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
What kind of vehicle are they towing with? Minivan or some kind of crossover.. IDK what the hell it is but it was a bad idea to begin with..

ezzyke

Reaction score
That is a late 90's to early 00's 5 series BMW station wagon. It is towing a e 36 M3 if I remember correctly. I saw it on one of the bimmer forums a long time ago.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Awsome, I've never seen a wreck like that in person but watched a few come close. There is a lot more involved in towing something then hooking up and going like some yuppies think.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I had something similar happen to me while pulling a 18' travel trailer, just about rolled the whole rig. Plenty of tongue weight in my case,,,,,, but the dodge 1/2 ton I was driving had some play in the steering and that's all it takes. It can happen fast. I installed a friction sway control and it took care of the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.