Howdy from Colorado

Mcmillitant

Reaction score
Newb here. Newb in every aspect IRT this site and diesels. Bought a 06 SD about 6 months ago. Love the beast. Hate the nuances. This is the first diesel I've ever owned or worked on. Bought it with ~160 on it. Second owner. Already had the EGR D, no tuner but clearly been flashed before. AFe intake. ARP studs. MBRP 4". Turbo appears to have a wicked wheel installed.

Ran into some issues about 175,000 miles with overheating. Coolant level was extremely low. Been topping it off every so often. Have an extremely slow leak somewhere but not sure where exactly. No overheating since monitoring the coolant.

Last week was running down the highway and she shut off on me. No start. Tried the fuel pump on passengers side. No joy. Hauled it back to town (buddy with a flat bed saved me the tow cost). Got the majority of components off the top and pulled the IPR valve. Screens still present but definitely shot to ****. Not sure if this is where I should stop looking or if I should dig deeper... The valley is absolutely filthy with oil and what appears to be coolant so I'm assuming yes. Appears that the EGR "cooler" might be leaking. Or possibly the heater control valve.

Bit more background info;

The delta between EOT and ECT has never exceeded 14*. So I'm not terribly concerned with the cooler. Common sense dictates to pull the intake and take a look at that screen, replace if needed and replace the cooler since I'm down there but I'm working with a tight budget at the moment. Been tossing around the idea of a remote cooler but that will have to come later.

Next step will be pressure testing the HPO system to see if I can hear any leaks. Not sure if I should rebuild the valve or just buy a new one.

Pics to follow shortly, but thanks in advance for all welcomes and input!

Cheers,

Sam

webb06

Reaction score
Sounds like you should get a scanner on it to see what icp is at before going any further and just throwing parts at it.

There's a lot of different things that can cause a no start on these trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcmillitant

Reaction score
I'm running a SCII but haven't programmed it for ICP. Had possibly the best powerstroke mech in the area hook it up to his fancy scanner. FICM checked good. Fuel pressure good. Disconnecting the ICP didn't yield any results the day it broke on me. So I'm assuming it's good to go.... What he did tell me is that it was pushing a whopping 16psi of oil. Sorry, probably should have mentioned that earlier. Anyways, Learned my lesson throwing parts at a vehicle a loooooooong time ago.

I've got the IPR out so I'll be pressure testing the HPO this week. Fingers crossed its the IPR and nothing else.

Sam

webb06

Reaction score
With 16 psi sounds like the ipr is your problem. A good pressure check will help though just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildkarrd

Reaction score
Welcome! Whereabout in Co? That particular 6.0 actually sounds a lot like a truck I've done a lot of work to... Would it happen to be a lariat crew cab long box dually?

Sent from a Well Head

Mcmillitant

Reaction score
Thanks!
Southwestern part of CO. Close to Durango. I bought the truck in Jacksonville, FL while I was living there. Ironically it is a lariat. And a crew cab. Neither long box or dually though. What part do you hail from?

Members online

No members online now.