HPOP Gauge

Sleeper71

Reaction score
I am assuming you are still using original injectors...

AD injectors with 200K on them are extremely oil hungry. Especially in most hot tunes.

280K to be exact. I am doing new injectors in the next month so maybe I should wait to see how they react to this old pump before I jump on a new HPOP. The injectors I am going to use will be 238/80s and yes I have all the parts to switch over to a 38R that I have already bought.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
My shiny new t500 still doesn't keep up with my stupid injectors. Can't blame the pump though. Will blame the injectors. Holds more pressure than the stock pump though.

Would you like to sell it!?

My pump cant maintain anything above 1500 psi above 3/4 throttle with duty cycle at about 90%. Not sure on PW.

Otherwise it holds 22-2800 psi in all tunes under 3/4 throttle...

Anyone think this isnt my pump?

CurtisF

Reaction score
If you knew your pulsewidth that would tell us yes or no on the pump.

You can have a perfectly healthy pump, but if the tuning is calling for let's say 6ms of pulsewidth (yes I have seen that and higher), then the HPOP simply isn't going to keep up. An Adrenaline or T500 probably won't keep up either.

Now on the flip side if you're hitting say 3 or 3.5ms of pulsewidth and your ICP is already dropping, then yes it's a problem with the pump or some other HPOP related issue where you are seeing oil go elsewhere.

Aside from leaks, these HPOP's typically last a long time. Having a problem with the pump itself maintain pressure is far more rare than having a hot tuned truck running mega-wide pulsewidth and calling for far more oil than can possibly be supplied by an otherwise healthy setup.

That's why I often ask why people assume they must replace the HPOP when their tuned truck drops ICP.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
If you knew your pulsewidth that would tell us yes or no on the pump.

You can have a perfectly healthy pump, but if the tuning is calling for let's say 6ms of pulsewidth (yes I have seen that and higher), then the HPOP simply isn't going to keep up. An Adrenaline or T500 probably won't keep up either.

Now on the flip side if you're hitting say 3 or 3.5ms of pulsewidth and your ICP is already dropping, then yes it's a problem with the pump or some other HPOP related issue where you are seeing oil go elsewhere.

Aside from leaks, these HPOP's typically last a long time. Having a problem with the pump itself maintain pressure is far more rare than having a hot tuned truck running mega-wide pulsewidth and calling for far more oil than can possibly be supplied by an otherwise healthy setup.

That's why I often ask why people assume they must replace the HPOP when their tuned truck drops ICP.

My bad, I actually did monitor PW after I installed everything. PW is at 4.55ms on a WOT run 40 to 80, 4th gear.

Would you suggest I work with my tuner at this point or with the given information would you think the pump is starting to go out?

Here is a record of a 40 to 80 pull on my hottest tune.
photo%204_zpsfsfocdtu.jpg

dsberman94

Reaction score
I am assuming you are still using original injectors...

AD injectors with 200K on them are extremely oil hungry. Especially in most hot tunes.

Not original. They're splitshots that I sent to rosewood and had 80% nozzles put on them. Sooo... Yeaaaaa. Before I knew that much. That was two weeks into ownership before I read enough about these trucks.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Would you like to sell it!?

My pump cant maintain anything above 1500 psi above 3/4 throttle with duty cycle at about 90%. Not sure on PW.

Otherwise it holds 22-2800 psi in all tunes under 3/4 throttle...

Negative. Just put it in two weeks ago. I'll get hybrids eventually.

mandkole

Reaction score
My bad, I actually did monitor PW after I installed everything. PW is at 4.55ms on a WOT run 40 to 80, 4th gear.

Would you suggest I work with my tuner at this point or with the given information would you think the pump is starting to go out?

Do you have a file that will max at about 3.5ms? if so, see what the pressure does.

2001 Power Stroker

Reaction score
Don't some tuners defuel at a certain boost level? I know on my truck my icp will spike at 3000 or so and then fall to about 22-2600 at 20-24 pounds of boost I have just regular pmt1 hydra tunes

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
280K to be exact. I am doing new injectors in the next month so maybe I should wait to see how they react to this old pump before I jump on a new HPOP. The injectors I am going to use will be 238/80s and yes I have all the parts to switch over to a 38R that I have already bought.
With 280k, swap injectors first. But with ADs, your stock pump probably won't keep up anyway.....,since the pump also has a lot of miles on it...

CurtisF

Reaction score

To be honest, scale that recording so that we can see the actual drop in ICP along with the rise in PW. The scale is so whacked out that I can't really tell what's going on. PW looks so flat it's difficult to see any correlation.

With that said..... there's no reason that 175/80's need 4.5ms of pulse width. They were emptied out long before that. In fact, 3ms is probably the max those injectors should ever see.

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Not original. They're splitshots that I sent to rosewood and had 80% nozzles put on them. Sooo... Yeaaaaa. Before I knew that much. That was two weeks into ownership before I read enough about these trucks.

Yeah, AD's with larger nozzles love to eat HPO. You will see a lot better numbers with single shots.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
To be honest, scale that recording so that we can see the actual drop in ICP along with the rise in PW. The scale is so whacked out that I can't really tell what's going on. PW looks so flat it's difficult to see any correlation.

With that said..... there's no reason that 175/80's need 4.5ms of pulse width. They were emptied out long before that. In fact, 3ms is probably the max those injectors should ever see.

Unfortunately I cant break it down any further, that was just a screen shot. I can run numbers again in a few days but in the mean time I have reached out to my tuner to get his thoughts.

Thanks for the info.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score

In fact, our 175/80 with 3000icp will be empty before 2.6ms. Your tuner is jacked calling for that much PW. That is likely the reason for so low ICP. Who's tunes?

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
In fact, our 175/80 with 3000icp will be empty before 2.6ms. Your tuner is jacked calling for that much PW. That is likely the reason for so low ICP. Who's tunes?

Hate to throw anyone under the buss without giving them a chance to work on it yet but its in my sig so cant really hide it.

Ive been working with Justin at Powerstruck. I contacted him today so ill see how he replies.

Just another reason I need to get a Hydra...Would be nice to have a new file emailed to me.

dsberman94

Reaction score
This might be a decent place to asks this question. Since I installed the new hpop, I reused the ipr when I did this. I've noticed more of a surge at idle. Every second or two it will noticeable go up about 50 rpm really quick then come back down. I don't see any change in icp or ipr duty cycle when this happens. Just see the rpm gauge hop up a little. Anyone have ideas. Didn't get tunes revised for this HPOP either, still running the stock HPOP tuning.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Hate to throw anyone under the buss without giving them a chance to work on it yet but its in my sig so cant really hide it.

Ive been working with Justin at Powerstruck. I contacted him today so ill see how he replies.

Just another reason I need to get a Hydra...Would be nice to have a new file emailed to me.

Maybe he isn't aware of what you have or of the requirements. I cannot remember if we have spoke about those exact injectors or not. Some tuners are happy to ask and take input from us about flow bench results. Some have been like they know better and give "x" tuning that works for everything the same.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score

I ran numbers this weekend to get info for my tuner.

In my stock tune in 4th gear doing a 40 mph to 80 mph run, PW was 2.6 to 2.9 throughout the pull. ICP maintained 2800 - 3,000 psi. IPR was about 75%.

In every other tune when cruising at about 1500 RPM, PW is at about 1.7ms, IPR is at 15%, ICP at 1,000 -1,200 PSI.

In the tow tune during a WOT pull anything below 3/4 throttle the PW is about 2.6 with ICP at 2200 - 2400, IPR at about 35%. Above 3/4 throttle and PW jumps to 3.6 - 4.2, ICP drops to about 1800 psi and IPR goes up into the 80% range.

In the Daily Drive tune during a WOT pull anything below 3/4 throttle the PW is 2.6 - 2.8 with ICP at 2400 - 2600, IPR about 40%, Above 3/4 throttle and PW Jumps to 3.6 - 4.2, ICP drops to about 1700 PSI with IPR at about 80-85%.

The Race tune and the XXX tune give me the same results.

Below 3/4 throttle PW is in the 2.6 - 2.8 range with ICP at 2600 - 2800, IPR about 45 - 50%. Above 3/4 and PW jumps to 4.2 - 4.5, ICP drops to about 1500 psi with IPR at 85 - 90%.

I have been emailing my tuner to see if my tunes are jacked up. His response after I sent him this info was "that IPR % indicates that the pump is maxed out on the "stock" tune".

Now I know my pump is getting weak but should these tunes really be calling for 4.5 ms PW if Tim is indicating the injectors will be empty around 2.6 ms??

I don't know enough to argue what the tuner said, Do any of you agree that this is all due to a weak HPOP? I feel if my pump was able to keep up on PHP's 140 tune with stock stick then my pump should be able to keep up better than it is now with single's...

Thanks for the help.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Lol a "stock" tune is calling for upwards of 2.9 ms with 175/80's.

Jeez...........

There's just too much pulse width. Period. The pump is "maxed out" because there's too much pulse width to try and keep up with the oil demand.

Latest posts

Members online