I think i need more air (powermax 175s review)

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Well i finally got around to getting some tunes for my injectors/turbo combo and towing with it.
First off i can definitely see why 155s are recommended for the powermax if your gonna tow, i have a fs2600 weekend warrior toy hauler, i would say around 12k loaded up, theres a pretty steep grade on the way to our local sand dunes where i did my initial testing.

Truck Definitely has more power as it takes less to get the load moving and less pedal to hold speed, if i keep it from upshifting to the next gear i can move at a steady speed 55-65 no problem but if i let out at all it wants to shift and boost drops egts climb, the age old story. egts would cruise in the lower gear around 1200-1300 with tons of pedal left and if you chose to use it would go like hell but the egt gauge would peg.. so can you tow with 175/75s and a powermax? yeah but you really gotta watch the gauge and it really gets annoying.

Second towing adventure was a much steeper grade and i was towing my buddys 99 ECLB 7.3 on 37s and his Tahiti jet boat, we believe his hpop went out. on this adventure i seemed to have the same problem borderline egts i constantly had to make sure it was in the right gear and watch my gauge like a hawk.

So by all this i dont like the amount of heat and want to add some more air, i was thinking either batmowheel or having rcd make it a 68 or MTW turbo. ultimately the goal is towing with my 175/75s, what do you guys think?

mgeistman

Reaction score
dont like non vgt?..... a 62/71/.83 would prolly match those injectors pretty good for a tow rig

Twan

Reaction score
You could have a tuner pull more fuel. Lol. Not what any wants to do.
I will be getting a stage 1 mad turbo put in around the 10th of July, testing it on my stock tune for a friend and on my street tune, pulling 14000-16000 lbs, got alot of dirt to move. Would get it sooner but I'm out of town working till then.
Im not looking for power just egts. But I will let you know how it works.
I'm getting it from quick trucks.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
try a tow tune first. I tried one from RCD and it pulled a TON of fuel out and ran very cool. if you don't tow all that often, just throw a water/meth kit on it for your tow trips. but you said it best....if you're going to be towing a bunch, 155's are the way to go.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I recommend the two stage coolingmist setup. If you arent towing heavy often...water would be the way to go.

Mdub707

Reaction score
turbo doesn't flow enough OR injectors push too much fuel...i'd say it's a combination of both.....duh. :pimp:

if you want to keep your setup the same...water/meth kit.

Yeah I suppose. Typically we start with an injector size based on our needs, then match a charger to that though. I guess what I meant to say was "sure you can tow with 175/75's, but you may want a different charger"

I recommend the two stage coolingmist setup. If you arent towing heavy often...water would be the way to go.

Water would certainly help as well as an open intake manifold.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I'm going to be sending my pmax off to Madpowerstroke here this week to see what he can do with it. I just run stock sticks, but if he can make a difference it might be worth a shot. May not help you much more running 175s but who knows...

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chappy

Reaction score
a mad stage 2 aka little boy turbo sounds like it would fit the bill. I know thats what I would like to get someday and some 175's

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
the .70 is much better than the .83 for towing purposes

While true, its just you loose so much exhaust velocity with that flange adapter and that crap stock collector. LOL

Im trying to convince a buddy that tows 12k daily to try the MPD 62/68/83 kit with manifolds and up pipes and 190's... we will see

The second my truck is done, ill be hooking to 8k and see what she does with the big boy stuff. :popcorn:

mgeistman

Reaction score
:whs::postwhore2:
While true, its just you loose so much exhaust velocity with that flange adapter and that crap stock collector. LOL

Im trying to convince a buddy that tows 12k daily to try the MPD 62/68/83 kit with manifolds and up pipes and 190's... we will see

The second my truck is done, ill be hooking to 8k and see what she does with the big boy stuff. :popcorn:

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Im just trying to weigh out the most cost effective option I have Gearhead tunes so maybe I'll hit up Matt and see if he can pull more otherwise I'm
Open to a diff turbo Vgt or non I don't care just wanna make the right decision first

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
So glad the most mine tows is about 1500 lbs. Lol! ( golf cart and trailer)

Latest posts

Members online