I think i need more air (powermax 175s review)

Strokethis34

Reaction score
I have 175/75's with a pmax. Runs great he egts are a bit high. The pmax does not clear up the injectors. I'm think of going with a 66/71/70 not Vgt.
Any input on that?

MorganY

Reaction score
I have 175/75's with a pmax. Runs great he egts are a bit high. The pmax does not clear up the injectors. I'm think of going with a 66/71/70 not Vgt.
Any input on that?

Use a 68 turbine wheel at least. You are going to sacrifice drivability. I ran a 64/71/.70 and it was a pig, I could keep the smoke down on the street but it was live tuned.

MorganY

Reaction score
A 64/68/.70 would be a good turbo for you, a 71 wheel would be fine too, but spoolup isn't great. either non VGT would clean up those sticks.

da94broncodude

Reaction score
either non vgt would clear em up but my concern is i do tow and its quite heavy im guessing 12k but could be higher and im looking at buying a new 5th wheel instead of my bumper pull

MorganY

Reaction score
either non vgt would clear em up but my concern is i do tow and its quite heavy im guessing 12k but could be higher and im looking at buying a new 5th wheel instead of my bumper pull

you'd have to run a 62, or compounds.. It would be pretty smokey trying to get the truck to move initially with that 64. Hopefully shawn chimes in.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wouldn't put 175's in knowing I towed 12k+ all the time. Of course it's do-able, but you're going to be watching your gauges like a hawk. Have you talked to your tuner to maybe write a tow tune that doesn't have so much fuel in it?

Gearhead

Reaction score
Where is it getting hot rpm-wise? With the pmax you are going to have to downshift when climbing a hill if you are below 1800 rpms or so (from my memory).

04stroker

Reaction score
I tell a lot of people if you tow heavy pretty often your best bet is a set of 155's if you dont want to really watch the gauges constantly. You can tow and even tow heavy with 175's or even 190's just not as tow friendly. I tow with 190/50's as long as I keep it downshifted on hills and watch the gauges I am fine but again it is not fun watching it so close.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
While MTW is still getting the tuning worked out on the Stage 2's, they are great turbo's and react much better than the PMAXes. However, don't get one and expect to run PMAX tunes. That isn't working. You would have to be willing to work with your tuner of choice to get the tuning tweaked for your needs. If you have any questions regarding any of the MTW turbo's just let me know.

Gearhead

Reaction score
While MTW is still getting the tuning worked out on the Stage 2's, they are great turbo's and react much better than the PMAXes. However, don't get one and expect to run PMAX tunes. That isn't working. You would have to be willing to work with your tuner of choice to get the tuning tweaked for your needs. If you have any questions regarding any of the MTW turbo's just let me know.

What isn't working with the pmax tunes?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Hey Matt, thank you for your support of the Morgan Wildman Charity Event. Your contribution was greatly appreciated and I wish you could have been there to see the turnout.

Regarding the PMax tunes on the MTW turbo's, I ran a PMax tune from a very highly regarded tuner and it just seemed to lose power on the top end. The stock time pulled harder all the way through the RPM range. I made my biggest dyno number on a track tune designed for a stock turbo. I hit 485rwhp on a stock turbo tune and only 474 on a PMax tune. Several guys we know have reported the same thing, the truck falls off on the top with PMax tunes and continues to pull with stock turbo tunes. What we are currently working on is getting the ECM to quit forcing the VGT duty cycle to fall after a certain RPM cause a slight loss of boost. It seems that after the ECM learns the characteristics of these turbo's it forces the duty cycle down resulting in 4-6psi of boost loss. We think we have it figured out, just waiting for a turbo to GI back on my truck to know for sure. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Latest posts

Members online