Ideas for broken injector cup still in head removal?

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking for any options I might have to remove the broken "tip" of the injector cup.

6 of the 8 came out without issue. #'s 1 and 3 however broke at the top of the small portion going into the head.

I have tried using a lag bolt to catch the lip and slide hammer to pull, also tried using a heat gun followed by a slide hammer with a hook attachment.

Even if I had to pull the head I am not sure still how I could get it out, unless there is enough lip to drive it out from the bottom.

Hoping someone can offer some other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Arisley

Reaction score
If you pull the head, you should be able to drive it out. Might try a small punch, to chip away the edges. Then grab hold of it and try to slide hammer it out.

DocBar

Reaction score
If you pull the head, you should be able to drive it out. Might try a small punch, to chip away the edges. Then grab hold of it and try to slide hammer it out.
I have zero, zilch, nada experience with this, but could an EZ out do the job? Just throwing an idea out there. :gethim:

It would suck if the OP has to pull a head. On the bright side, at least the two that broke off are on the same bank. :D

mustube

Reaction score
A guy i know doesn't have an injector cup removal tool, he uses a really big tap (like for cutting threads). I don't know what your resources are but maybe someone you know has one you can borrow?

TARM

Reaction score
I am not sure how hot you could take it but propane torch first maybe instead of heat gun and then see. I wonder why its locked in their so tight. I also would second maybe using a tap. Personally I would give Dave@ Swamps a call and maybe Nate@ unlimited as they both have shops and must see all kind of craziness. Dave has likley seen the most when it comes to Ford as he was doing this long before 7.3 perf stuff.

78f100

Reaction score
I have rosewoods tool it works great but not sure on a broke one though. If there is enough left to thread into It should come out. It is basically a big tap on the end so I see no reason a large enough tap and slide hammer wouldn't work. The good part about the rosewood tool is it pulls it out as you tighten the nut against the head so its even force pulling vs a slide hammer shocking it and possibly pulling the threads the tap cut out. How did you remove the others?

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
I was using Clay's tool, it works great, I think the cracks were just above the lip and added to the breaking off.

I do have more sets of heads, so I may just swap them out, tried a MAPP gas torch today and still nothing.

I may try to fab up some kind of puller instead of trying with the slide hammer but it may just come down to swapping the head, and it is nice that they are both on the same bank!

Here's some pics of what I'm working with as far as material goes, the large tap wouldn't work based on how much is left.

20140715_1314391_zps91002f66.jpg

20140715_1313191_zps5da91ac3.jpg

ve-did-not-crack-vertically-photo-cour_zps732dfa44.jpg

78f100

Reaction score
Its a long shot but you could find a tap a little larger than the nozzle hole in the cup and maybe thread it in using a slide hammer. Heat the crap out of it and it may come out, if that doesn't work looks like you will for sure have to pull the head. Its a thought anyway, I'm not sure if the tap will just rip out or not, if it were mine I would sure try it.

DocBar

Reaction score
the tap would have worked fine on that, it doesnt cut threads that low into the cup

Its a long shot but you could find a tap a little larger than the nozzle hole in the cup and maybe thread it in using a slide hammer. Heat the crap out of it and it may come out, if that doesn't work looks like you will for sure have to pull the head. Its a thought anyway, I'm not sure if the tap will just rip out or not, if it were mine I would sure try it.
Have y'all ever used an EZOUT? They work the opposite of a tap. They are used for extracting things just like this.
th?id=HN.608002953689892228&pid=1.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Thread ready rod down, then use slide hammer to bang it out.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Have y'all ever used an EZOUT? They work the opposite of a tap. They are used for extracting things just like this.
th?id=HN.608002953689892228&pid=1.jpg

Yes, and 99.9% of the time they break off, and their hardened, making the job three times as difficult now

ghohouston

Reaction score
agreed, i cant tell you how many of those bastards i have broken off in a terrible place, that made the job that much harder, and time consuming.

DocBar

Reaction score
Yes, and 99.9% of the time they break off, and their hardened, making the job three times as difficult now
I've only had a couple of them break on me and I've used them a lot. I've only had a few small taps beak on me, either. Both are usually hardened and I've seen a lot more taps break than ez outs.

TARM

Reaction score
I have had plenty of the smaller ones break. Lots and lots so I hardly ever use them anymore but the really large ones that I paid good money for top quailty have not. If you are talking about pulling the head then I can not see how it would hurt if its the last option to pulling them. If it works you have saved a days work if it does not then you are really no worse off as the head is coming off.

78f100

Reaction score
Ezouts are designed to turn reversed so they keep biting. He needs something he can pull against not turn. That's why I said a tap might bite enought through the bore for the nozzle to use to pull it out. A ezout will just pull outsoon as he hits it with a slide hammer and I'm afraid if he tried to turn the ezout it would just act as a drill bit removing material. Those cups arnt very thick.
Maybe he gets it withiut pulling the head.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I have used a tap, like 78f100 is suggesting, to get them out.
Like he said, weld a slide hammer to the tap.
Heat the surrounding cylinder head with a torch. Don't get silly with it, you just want to get the head warm and also break down the sleeve retaining compound as much as possible.
Drop dry ice into the remaining portion of the injector cup and hammer away.

ghohouston

Reaction score
when i worked at a small local shop, i had to do all 8 cups on a 7.3, and we made a plate that sat just above the head, iirc, had several bolts that went down into the head, under the valve cover area, and just sat on the head surface, and basically did the same thing. threaded the tap into the cup, and welded a nut to the top of the tap, to a bolt could be installed if that makes sense. all you had to do was use a shallow socket on a ratchet, and crank down, and it would pull the suckers right out. actually made doing 5 and 7 cups really simple.

bruce

Reaction score
If you need to borrow an actual cup removal tool I can send you. Hell for 100$ i'll send you the cup tool, 8 cups and a bottle of loctite 620.

78f100

Reaction score
He said he used a cup removal tool but the pics shows the actual face of the cup pulled off. That's what he is trying to get out now. A regular cup tool is useless to him at this point.

Latest posts

Members online