Injector Nozzle fell into cylinder

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
So I got a message from a buddy from VT the other day. Has a 2011 f250 w/ H&S, exhaust and intake.

Hey Dan,

How've you been and how's school going? I hope your trucks running great, but I've got a question about mine. She left me sitting on 81 yesterday. Tons of white smoke, rough idle, knocking, and it was like pure diesel was coming out the exhaust. I put new fuel filters on after it broke down. I was hoping it was just bad fuel. I didn't see any coolant leaks, and all the temps where fine. The first two times I restarted it and gave it fuel it was like it flooded itself out. When it hit 2000 rpm the smoke went black and it sound like it ran smoother. Everybody yesterday said it was probably an injector. I've looked on the forums but no luck. It'll be in the shop on Monday.

Then he messaged me back yesterday with this:

Injector nozzle fell off and I have zero compression in the third cylinder. The mechanic says he's ordering a new motor due to the damage. He said it would take a lot more labor to just do the short block. I'm disappointed that the truck failed but if I get a new motor (thats improved) it'll be ok. If your on the forums feel free to share my complete failure story lol also what's the down side of buying a 6.4? I've got a buddy who wants to go from a 6.0 to a 6.4.

Just figured I'd share the story. i believe he signed up on here at one point or another but doesn't really come on here much. Kinda crazy never heard of the injector nozzle falling off into the cylinder.

If anyone has any ?'s i'd be happy to relay them.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
That what I told him it might have been a injector that hung open and melted the piston, but I thought that was more of a 6.4 problem i'm not real familiar with the 6.7 and their issues

Hung nozzle can happen to any commonrail. Split or broken nozzle can happen to about anything. There is no way for the whole nozzle to just fall off, it would have to break the tip.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Yea I don't know, i'm surely no mechanic. I only know what I read on here LOL

He doesn't know much either, and I posted it up here to get your alls input and make sure he isn't getting taken advantage of or anything

SootRoller

Reaction score
Trust me, fomoco doesn't include labor in the cost cap or prior approval and it isn't up to the tech to decide what engine (short block, long block etc) goes back in the chassis. That is ultimately up to prior approval (fomoco bean counters) after the tech completes the cost cap and his diagnosis/teardown. Long block is usually only from a dropped valve or something entering the combustion chamber and damaging the head and piston/block (warranty or cash). Pretty much every other base engine concern will be a shortblock under warranty. Then fomoco fights with the dealer tooth and nail on labor after the fact. There isn't a drop in/fully dressed engine available yet over the counter to my knowledge, only long blocks. I dropped a long block in a chassis last week. Wiped the #6 cam lobe and got wedged between a few connecting rods on the way out. That was a mess. I have also seen quite a few thrust bearing failures and one case of some bad block porosity as well as dropped/broken valves. I haven't seen any split nozzles melt one down yet. But tomorrow is a new day. I can't see how a nozzle would just fall off and I can't say I have even heard of that on a 6.7 yet surprisingly. Fuel contamination is a whole different ball game. But even then, I haven't seen one crack or split yet.

Last edited:

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
ga4a4eba.jpg
apemetem.jpg
a7yseveq.jpg
3yhu7u8a.jpg

shmoozer

Reaction score
Looks like that cylinder and piston were attacked with a ball peen hammer! Wow

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Looks like it was a 2011 with the bad valves. I'm guessing he could tell by the noise it made that it would need a long block.

Reaction score
Dang another cracked valve motor.... I think its about time for ford to step up and recall these. but you know they wont. But it really is starting to get me worried.

Latest posts

Members online