injectors - the final mod of my truck

n54power

Reaction score
To date I've upgraded and or replaced any major wear items in both engine and chasis
Truck has a built trans,t500,fuel mods and new uppipes to go with 38r/ww2

Ideally I'd like to use an injector that would be a drop in without special tuning.

Now before everyone says it, I know for best performance tuning is best. Especially for single Shota

There are some dealers that claim they have a stage 2 split that will work without tuning.

My goals are - to compliment my 38r
- good HP bump
- manageable gets when towing

I've seen alot of people suggest 170/80 singles.

I know that a 7.3 keeping the stock turbo mount are limited but given were I live I'm sure a rather nice bump in power is doable. I held a 1 truck lead on a stock 6.7 to 60mph,then he walked by me. I want more

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
What fuel mods? E fuel?

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

Reaction score
With a turbo that moved similar cfm as your 38r, and 175/100 singles, and good tunes I never had an issue with egts, towing up a mountain or driving empty, tunes are critical for egt managment and power, not to mention, singles are more efficient that splits

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I had 160/100's with the 38R with WW2 it ran really well was a perfect combo for me.

Low EGT's at WOT

Towed perfect

No smoke which was awesome.

Good MPG

I also had a Swamps IDM, T500 , Walbro fuel pump and sump with a AD 100 (For filtering)

I ran it on Swamps drag tune towing and DDing all on a stock L99 350,000 mile engine never had a problem other than the stock Ford reman transmission not holding up LOL.

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
To date I've upgraded and or replaced any major wear items in both engine and chasis

Ideally I'd like to use an injector that would be a drop in without special tuning.

Now before everyone says it, I know for best performance tuning is best. Especially for single Shota

There are some dealers that claim they have a stage 2 split that will work without tuning.

My goals are - to compliment my 38r
- good HP bump
- manageable gets when towing

I've seen alot of people suggest 170/80 singles.

I know that a 7.3 keeping the stock turbo mount are limited but given were I live I'm sure a rather nice bump in power is doable. I held a 1 truck lead on a stock 6.7 to 60mph,then he walked by me. I want more

With single shots, you need tuning. With stock tuning, you will only get the fuel the PCM is calling for.

What fuel mods? E fuel?

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

'00 comes from the factory with e-fuel.

n54power

Reaction score
I've gotten some nice feedback,thank you guys.
I'm talking with php about tuning using my FU setup.

Now.for the fun part,how much of an improvement in power was noticed with the injectors?

I know fuel makes the biggest improvement but up to this point I haven't had the privilege of riding in a 7.3 with upgraded injectors

ghohouston

Reaction score
I went from stock injectors/ 38r with Gearhead tunes to rosewood 238/100's/38r with Gearhead tunes, and loved it. Literally no turbo lag, would break the tires loose when I wanted, etc... extremely fun setup

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I really like my 175/80's from PIS. Smooth injectors with great power. I havent run any other injector but stock and I feel this is a great DD/tow setup.

I suggest skipping the 38R WW2 and go for the billet 6/6 wheel. People report better MPG's lower EGT's and better bottom end power.

CurtisF

Reaction score
T

Do yourself a favor, if you haven't yet balanced the turbo after adding the WW.... do it now.

I have no personal experience with the WW, and I'm positive it's a great product. But you have a rotating assembly that spins over 100,000 RPM on oil coated ball bearings, and if it's not balanced then bad things tend to happen.

You can search this and other PSD forums for end results of unbalanced 38R's running WW's. Balancing is cheap compared to buying a new charger.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, if you haven't yet balanced the turbo after adding the WW.... do it now.

I have no personal experience with the WW, and I'm positive it's a great product. But you have a rotating assembly that spins over 100,000 RPM on oil coated ball bearings, and if it's not balanced then bad things tend to happen.

You can search this and other PSD forums for end results of unbalanced 38R's running WW's. Balancing is cheap compared to buying a new charger.
i thought 38r's where component balanced from the factory? as is the ww2... i have put mine through hell with the ww2.. guess we will see how many more wot runs it can take..

live life full throttle

Reaction score

Balanced wheel on a balanced shaft. Nothing to balance.
Balancing becomes necessary when you take, for instance, a GT40 turbine, turn it down to run in a bored out powermax, and stick a 68mm compressor on the other side.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Balanced wheel on a balanced shaft. Nothing to balance.

When you swap a wheel, the rotating assembly itself is no longer balanced.

It might be close and a person may never have an issue, or it can be off enough that given just a bit of time, the turbo craters. But a ball bearing turbo like the 38R doesn't hold up if the rotating assembly is just slightly off balance.

Like I already said, search this and other forums. It's not happening just once or twice.

n54power

Reaction score
Well I had a set back today
Wheel bearing **** the bed today. So first replace it then back to injectors. But it gives me more times for research.

So opinions have been a 160/30,160/100,175/100
And.ive given thought to 175/146
From reading, 160 to 175-180cc is about a 25-30hp difference
Then there's the injector cups.a added price but -id.rather do it now then have to do not later

ghohouston

Reaction score
There's no guarantee cups will ever go bad. It takes all of 30 minutes to remove injectors in the event it ever did happen... I say leave them alone unless there's a problem.

n54power

Reaction score
Noted.thanks. so far it's solid with not even a hint of a fuel smell.
Now just have to pick a injector.

Jomax

Reaction score
I had 250/100s and loved them. Ran it with the stock E99 turbo aswell. I don't think I'd ever go less, just detune and rock it. If you ever go for more power, you have the possibility.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online