Intercooler fit between frame rail 4x4

Tom S

Reaction score
Some of you know about the ongoing RSK project. I was just looking to solicite some information as to how your intercooler fits in relation to the frame rails. My core support is not exactly centered between the frame ends so I have 7/16" clearance on one side and 31/32" on the other. It looks like there will be plates going on either side of the frame to form the RSK and that is going to make it a little tight for bolt heads.

I was also looking at the photos that BigBooper has from a DIY RSK. It looks to me like he used all factory holes on his RSK but I noticed in a photo it looks like he used bolt with a ground down head, so I am guessing he was trying to address this as well. It looks like on my truck I would need to drill two holes foward of that factory hole right behind the welded on bumper bracket kind of like this. It does not look like I would want a bolt in that one factory hole

This is the inside plate showing the same idea. The scale looks off to me but remember those are 3/4" and 5/8" holes in the photos

I have the Banks Intercooler so I know how that fits. Could a few of you please take a look and let me know close your intercooler is the the inside of the frame rails. I also think it woudl be good to know how low it hangs. Mine is just about flush with the low part of the frame just foward of the shackle. The bumper is 2 1/8" below that same point.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I have a 7.3 all aluminum cooler and I had bolts not being used in those holes in the frame, and the cooler would not fit in easily with them there. I could have made it workout it was easier to cut them out since they were not used. Now I have about an 1" on either side of the cooler and about 2" from the bottom of the cooler to the bottom of the frame

Tom S

Reaction score
Exactly the kind of information I want. Thanks. I think you guys that adapt in the stock intercoolers have room to move them up and down. Are the outside edges of them parallel?

Tom S

Reaction score
Yes, that would be nice. I found a shot of mine that shows how it sits on the tight side.

If anyone has similar shots like this from an install I think it would be handy.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Ok Ill look and see what I have. Looking at your picture though Mine seems to fit in almost exactly like yours does Tom. Except yours has no rust, and Im trying to get rid of mine :drool:

Aljay

Reaction score
Tom I will check mine and see if I can snap a pic,I have plastic tanked 7.3 cooler.

pontiacross

Reaction score
here is a picture of the plastic takenked 7.3 cooler I use to have in the pulling truck hope it helps
ic2.jpg

intercooler1-1.jpg

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
My IC setup is similar to what is pictured above, but sits closer to flush with the top of the grille. I did it that way to please my case of OCD. I dont like the gaps associated with SD IC's in OBS trucks. Regardless, I believe mine sits close to, if not less in the frame rails then yours does Tom. Not sure if that helps :shrug:

Aljay

Reaction score
My IC setup is similar to what is pictured above, but sits closer to flush with the top of the grille. I did it that way to please my case of OCD. I dont like the gaps associated with SD IC's in OBS trucks. Regardless, I believe mine sits close to, if not less in the frame rails then yours does Tom. Not sure if that helps :shrug:

I had to heat and bend my safety latch thats how close mine is to the top ...... it (latch) is still exiting where it did stock but it was trial an error till I was satisfied.
I will get pics up soon been hella busy !

Latest posts

Members online