Intermittent rough running truck?

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
You should put your doubtful IDM into a good running truck. If you truck has problems then you run the risk of damaging the good IDM trying to use it in your truck. IDMs generally shut down a complete bank of cylinders at a time or not run at all.

A quick check of the CPS is to watch the tach for movement, if the tach moves then generally the CPS has output. No output, no tach movement.

According to my buddy he can check the current IDM in the truck with his scan tool?:confused: I don't know but he's bringing a spare just in case that's what it is.

Hell ya:thumbsup:

Keep us posted man, hope you get this thing going.

Sitting at home....waiting on his call...:poke:... he was going to buy another '03 F350 SD 7.3L this morning and then was going to come help me look at this truck.

portlandareae28

Reaction score
I know you said it isn't weather related, HOWEVER, I was having the same issues with my truck, and changing the windshield fixed it.. Seal was bad, water running down over the PCM and it would sometimes take days to dry out.. See if the carpet is wet on the drivers side floor..

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Ya the snapon scanner will tell you if the IDM's shot. Waiting anxiously for the results...

Well it was the IDM after all! My buddy scanned it, showed bad, we threw his spare in and it fired right up! We took it for a drive and it runs like a top!:rockon:

My friend that currently owns it was excited as he was going to pick up a fullsize bronco today, and didn't have to borrow a truck to do it now. lol

Going to drop it off at a local shop monday night to get a full inspection, and it should be mine by the end of the week hopefully!

ghohouston

Reaction score
Heres a tip, if they tell you #3, or 8 injectors are bad, they most likely are not, its almost always thrown by the cps sensor, nothing to really worry about, unless it idles rough as hell

always-strokin

Reaction score
Well it was the IDM after all! My buddy scanned it, showed bad, we threw his spare in and it fired right up! We took it for a drive and it runs like a top!:rockon:

My friend that currently owns it was excited as he was going to pick up a fullsize bronco today, and didn't have to borrow a truck to do it now. lol

Going to drop it off at a local shop monday night to get a full inspection, and it should be mine by the end of the week hopefully!

Well I'm a bit surprised it was the IDM, but my suggestion woulda been to send the IDM to Swamps and get their hfhv IDM worth 30whp.

Glad to hear you like it and it runs good. But if you have a truck, why you picking this one up?

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Well I'm a bit surprised it was the IDM, but my suggestion woulda been to send the IDM to Swamps and get their hfhv IDM worth 30whp.

Glad to hear you like it and it runs good. But if you have a truck, why you picking this one up?

I have been looking awful hard at that modded swaps IDM, and I have a good friend who works there also. Does it work together with a chip that hasn't been programmed for a higher voltage? If it gets a clean bill of health Tuesday I'm ordering a chip & gauges same day.

The sole purpose for buying this truck is the price...it's too good not too and my friend is still letting me have it at the same price he originally quoted me after I got it fixed. My dodge was in the shop until Friday for some electrical issues, so I had no way to haul this truck to anyone.

I'm looking into hauling cars with a friend who has his own transport company running a 99 2wd SD & a 44' Kaufmann trailer. I will need a 1-ton DRW to do it and had been searching CL for a 2wd SD 6spd when I remembered this 97 CC 5spd F350 my other friend had. Called him up last Sunday it hadn't moved in 4 months and he no longer had a use for it. I'm going to drive it for a few weeks to check for bugs, try my buddies Kaufmann trailer out behind it a couple of times and go from there. Worst case scenario I can flip it and continue looking for a SD, but most of them in my area are closing in on 300K miles and this 97 only had 200,800 miles. I think with an intercooler , downpipe, and custom chip this truck would do fine. My buddy with the transport company has a 99 IC, pipes, and spider from a truck he parted out. Lol

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Dont need to retune for a swamps idm; nothing to really tune for. But truthfully I wouldnt' get a swamps IDM until you get more mods under your belt. IF you needed an IDM, I'd say core yours and get the swamps. But since you have one, I'd wait until turbo/injectors for the swamps IDM.

Thats great that you are looking into a powerstroke though. You'll love it.

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Dont need to retune for a swamps idm; nothing to really tune for. But truthfully I wouldnt' get a swamps IDM until you get more mods under your belt. IF you needed an IDM, I'd say core yours and get the swamps. But since you have one, I'd wait until turbo/injectors for the swamps IDM.

Thats great that you are looking into a powerstroke though. You'll love it.

Well I was looking at the Swamps because it seemed fairly priced there. Kinda hate to put a used one in, but it would be cheaper. Any ways to waterproof then better? The one in the truck now is just a loaner until I find a replacement.

Honestly yes I am a Dodge Cummins man primarily, I cut up and carry on with my friends in brand wars all the time. However, I will not deny the 7.3L is a good working, long lasting motor when maintained well.

I was wanting a newer truck and needing a dually to haul with, but didn't want a huge payment. The 98-02 Dodge's have a troublesome fuel system, and everybody wants and arm and a leg for a 03+ Cummins. So I started looking at Superduty's up to an '03 since my buddy has had decent luck with his and I'm well aware of 6oh problems. Lol

I happened to remember this truck my friend had called me about and you know the rest if you've followed this thread. LoL

always-strokin

Reaction score
Ohhh if the one in the truck now is only a loaner then 100% send the blown IDM off to Swamps and have them core it into a hi-freq/hi-volt IDM. THe more mods you have the more hp/tq the swamps idm is worth, but even in stock applications the truck will start easier, run/idle smoother, and clear up smoke all around.

You'll be impressed with the 7.3 for a tow hog and and all-around truck :)

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Ohhh if the one in the truck now is only a loaner then 100% send the blown IDM off to Swamps and have them core it into a hi-freq/hi-volt IDM. THe more mods you have the more hp/tq the swamps idm is worth, but even in stock applications the truck will start easier, run/idle smoother, and clear up smoke all around.

You'll be impressed with the 7.3 for a tow hog and and all-around truck :)

Its officially mine as of today. I had it checked out by a local ford tech friend of mine and got a list of mostly common stuff needing to be addressed for a 200,700 mile truck. Most of it is simple stuff with the exception of the ball joints, and clutch. By "clutch" he said he heard the dual mass flywheel rattle on start up? I will be putting a South Bend clutch in as I have a long standing relationship with them. I need to find an IDM so I can get this loaner back to my buddy also.

Attachments

• New Powerstroke.jpg
    New Powerstroke.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Patrick list.jpg
    Patrick list.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 35

always-strokin

Reaction score
Looks like an excellent truck. A large truck, but still pretty.
DMF issues are common. Most people ditch them anyways.
Go to Swamps and they will get your current IDM cored out w/ a swamps modded IDM.

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Looks like an excellent truck. A large truck, but still pretty.
DMF issues are common. Most people ditch them anyways.
Go to Swamps and they will get your current IDM cored out w/ a swamps modded IDM.

I've already found another OBS IDM on PSN for $100. Gonna keep my eyes out for a 00-02 SD IDM.

Going to address all the smaller stuff first, then tackle the two bigger projects.

Recommendations on GOOD ball joints?

Latest posts

Members online