Intermittent white smoke

jbair14

Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 F350 with 190k miles on it. When I test drove it there were no signs of smoke. I drove it 100 miles yesterday after picking it up and saw no smoke. Today it started and drove fine first thing this morning but after running a few errands it would occasionally have white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. The smoke clears up on hard acceleration. Driving around the rest of the afternoon it would be 1 in 3 times that it would blow smoke. This was also the first day the temps got over 32*. My degas bottle looks great with no sign of coolant overflow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

webb06

Reaction score
Egr cooler still on it? Leaking egr cooler will cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbair14

Reaction score
To my knowledge it is. It was a deal I couldn't pass up but unfortunately I don't know much about its history. The Oasis does show it was replaced ~20k miles ago. What would cause the inconsistency, when my 6.4 cooler went out it was pouring white smoke all the time.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Even if you're not seeing a drop in the coolant level yet, I'd pop the egr valve out, and look down into the intake with a flashlight, see if it's wet.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Could just be a stuck egr valve. They act up and stick when they start to look like this.
fe9b48bac51fb578b381c5c6ed0e79d8.jpg

Dweisman429

Reaction score
Could be oil leaking past the seal in the turbo also. That is what mine was doing earlier this year.
It did come and go some as well.
If you arent loosing coolant then it is a good possibility

webb06

Reaction score
Oem oil cooler. Any egr dlete kit will work. eBay will be your cheapest for the dlete.

Swsignal5

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a good kit to go with for EGR ******, and oil cooler

Flow pro hands down. Best fitment every time with no trimming of pieces like the cheap Chinese kits.

webb06

Reaction score
Flow pro hands down. Best fitment every time with no trimming of pieces like the cheap Chinese kits.

I've never even seen a 6.0 flo pro kit, and I've never had to "trim" any of the kits we've installed.

Swsignal5

Reaction score
I've never even seen a 6.0 flo pro kit, and I've never had to "trim" any of the kits we've installed.

I know from experience that the Chinese kits suck. The bellows are junk and crack way too often. They do not always line up easily and cause leaks. I mean if your happy with Chinese ones that's good. I'm just saying I have had issues with them and will never use them again. For something that saves me 60 bucks is not worth having to replace within a few months considering what a pain it is to get in there.

JMart

Reaction score
Could be oil leaking past the seal in the turbo also. That is what mine was doing earlier this year.
It did come and go some as well.
If you arent loosing coolant then it is a good possibility

:whs:

Everybody told me my problem was an egr cooler or injectors, ended up being a turbo seal.

webb06

Reaction score
I know from experience that the Chinese kits suck. The bellows are junk and crack way too often. They do not always line up easily and cause leaks. I mean if your happy with Chinese ones that's good. I'm just saying I have had issues with them and will never use them again. For something that saves me 60 bucks is not worth having to replace within a few months considering what a pain it is to get in there.

Bellows? There aren't any bellows on the pipe. Bellows are only on the driver side up pipe.

Swsignal5

Reaction score
Bellows? There aren't any bellows on the pipe. Bellows are only on the driver side up pipe.

cb5020977650ca7d7bccf7b52445b20e.jpg

I'm pretty sure there is a bellow on the passenger side!

Swsignal5

Reaction score
That's why you replace that pipe with the egr dlete pipe.

Ok... Your argument is pointless. We get the fact that you like cheap Chinese sh*t.
And your still avoiding the fact that you were wrong and there is a bellow on the passenger side.

Sorry OP for the derail. I personally would get a good kit since there like 200 bucks. We're not talking thousands here. Some of the cheap kits have bellows on the dèlete pipe to help with alignment since there cheaply mass produced and bellows can take a percent of deflection if there is a fitment error in production. The flo pro kits do not have bellows and every kit I have seen fit perfect with no issues. Just my 2 cents. You get what you pay for.

webb06

Reaction score
Ok... Your argument is pointless. We get the fact that you like cheap Chinese sh*t.
And your still avoiding the fact that you were wrong and there is a bellow on the passenger side.

Sorry OP for the derail. I personally would get a good kit since there like 200 bucks. We're not talking thousands here. Some of the cheap kits have bellows on the dèlete pipe to help with alignment since there cheaply mass produced and bellows can take a percent of deflection if there is a fitment error in production. The flo pro kits do not have bellows and every kit I have seen fit perfect with no issues. Just my 2 cents. You get what you pay for.

Pm sent

I don't recall any egr ****** kits where the replacement up pipe had a bellow in it

My point, thank you

jbair14

Reaction score
Well I may have found my problem, a loose connection at the FICM. I'll update everyone in the next few days.

Latest posts

Members online