Irregular idle revving up and down VIDEO & Update!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Anyone seen this before? Is this an issue with the ipr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be the ipr, tuning, or icp. Is it something that just started happening, or did you make changes, such as injectors and tune and then it happened?

If it started happening with no changes to anything, check your icp voltage at koeo, it should be .23v, also, unplug it and make sure there’s no oil in the connector.

young7.3

Reaction score
It started without any changes to the truck.

ICP voltage koeo is .22 volts.

Ipr connector has a little oil on the outside of the male connector. Not enough that its dripping.

I have a spare IP sensor, I just need to get the socket for it.

Last edited:

Iso-baric

Reaction score
Any chance your headlights are flickering in time with engine speed (slower at idle, faster as engine speed increases)?

I had a similar issue recently. Started as a small hiccup at idle or at ICP less than 1300 psi. Progressively got worst until engine started hunting similar to yours at idle.
Went through all of the usual suspects - swapped known good ICP/IPR/CPS before I noticed the headlight flicker one night.

Must have had a bad diode in the alternator causing havoc on the electric side. 5min with the multimeter, and a new alternator later I was back in business.

young7.3

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s headlight flicker. I’ve had the headlights off this entire time.

I did some testing and got some very weird results. Put a brand new motorcraft ipr sensor in and torqued it to proper spec. Now the truck idles just fine but there is zero power until the icp duty cycle hits 45% and at that high of duty cycle pressure is only 1000/1400 psi. That isn’t even the weird part.

At this point we are around 60-70% wot. Then it’s like someone pushes the nitrous button and the truck takes off! Has full power, full boost, everything!

The only item i changed was the ipr sensor. I get the same results in every tune and even in stock mode.

To throw another wrench in things i have a cps and oil pressure fault codes.

Any ideas?
59ca0328c447ce1bc43aecde7c0da2ff.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s headlight flicker. I’ve had the headlights off this entire time.

I did some testing and got some very weird results. Put a brand new motorcraft ipr sensor in and torqued it to proper spec. Now the truck idles just fine but there is zero power until the icp duty cycle hits 45% and at that high of duty cycle pressure is only 1000/1400 psi. That isn’t even the weird part.

At this point we are around 60-70% wot. Then it’s like someone pushes the nitrous button and the truck takes off! Has full power, full boost, everything!

The only item i changed was the ipr sensor. I get the same results in every tune and even in stock mode.

To throw another wrench in things i have a cps and oil pressure fault codes.

Any ideas?
View attachment 187557

Figure out the cam sensor code, that will do all sorts of goofy shit. These trucks are old as hell now, could be frayed wires at the cam sensor, or a cam sensor. That 1211 code could be causing issues as well. Check fuel pressure, typically the culprit for that code.

fastersteve

Reaction score
How are the batteries? Every time I've seen crazy codes like that, one of them has died. These trucks are very sensitive to low voltage.

young7.3

Reaction score
Batteries are not even a year old. Interstate batteries manufactured on 2/24. Truck cranks over and starts strong.

If I installed a new working ipr sensor, then why would I have this really weird performance issue now? Just doesnt make sense. What are the odds I got a bad sensor from Ford?

Iso-baric

Reaction score
Headlight flicker was a symptom in my case, not the cause. Root cause being dirty voltage output from the alternator due to a diode failure.

Any sensor that uses a 5v reference can be effected by 'noise' in the 12v system - ICP/CPS/MAP/EBP etc.

It takes <5min to do a diode test if you have access to a multimeter. Or you can simply disconnect the hot wire from the alternator and run the truck for a short period of time to see if the issue persists.

young7.3

Reaction score
Figure out the cam sensor code, that will do all sorts of goofy shit. These trucks are old as hell now, could be frayed wires at the cam sensor, or a cam sensor. That 1211 code could be causing issues as well. Check fuel pressure, typically the culprit for that code.

I’ll look into the codes more as the cps one is definitely new. Fuel pressure is good. I have a gauge under the hood and its set to 60psi. I dont have large injectors so im confident pressure isnt dropping under throttle.

Latest posts

Members online