Is there a default degree for coolant temp

zilla68

Reaction score
I noticed my truck is showing at cold start 200 degree's after it has set for many days.

Is there a default temp when the sensor goes out, and if so is that it?

Just wanted to get some insight before I order a new one.

It seems to work, because after a while you can tell the t stat opens and it drops, but I never noticed it before that high when just starting my truck, but I never really paid attention either.

thanks in advance.

Tom S

Reaction score
I am guessing you are looking with AE. That is a bogus parameter except possible on trucks with a manual trans. If you look at the wiring diagram there is not water temp input to the PCM.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
that's what my scan gauge reads as well. actually around 215 to start and will read once it hits 245 then reads true value for some reason. my truck was originally a manual but I've swapped over to a full 96 wiring harness.

greenwhite1

Reaction score
I want to understand this better and have been searching this subject lately. The ECT coolant sensor is located on the water pump and supplies a signal to the gauge on the dash only. There is also a sensor going into the block just above the pump on the left when looking at the front of the engine. I think it is called (block coolant temp switch) and I think it sends a signal to the computer that turns the light on the dash on if it over heats, from what I've read. Is that correct?

I have been monitoring water temp with the torque app on my 97 truck and my 95 work van. My truck says -40 or 214 but the van actually has a good reading very close to the oil temp. I checked my truck with AE and the reading was different than torque but still didn't match my oil temp. I'm trying to figure if I have a bad sensor and the ford dealer said the sensor in the block next to the water pump sends a signal to the computer.

My truck gets such bad fuel milage in the winter and I was trying to figure out why and thought I might be in warmup mode or something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.