is this normal??

96OBS

Reaction score
okay, ive got a 96 7.3 4x4 5spd all stock besides 4 inch exhaust with stock down pipe and a cone filter. I notice when the truck warms u that the idle slighty goes up then down up then down. barely see it on the tach. kinda sounds like ac clicking on then off. is it normal? could it be fuel filter? I just got it about a month ago and don't know last time it had been changed. Also it has like no get up and go until 2000 rm and up. Is that normal for a stock truck? I plan on doing a set of injectors and probably an adrenaline hpop this summer. plan on buying an edge evolution soon as I get the money.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
okay, ive got a 96 7.3 4x4 5spd all stock besides 4 inch exhaust with stock down pipe and a cone filter. I notice when the truck warms u that the idle slighty goes up then down up then down. barely see it on the tach. kinda sounds like ac clicking on then off. is it normal? could it be fuel filter? I just got it about a month ago and don't know last time it had been changed. Also it has like no get up and go until 2000 rm and up. Is that normal for a stock truck? I plan on doing a set of injectors and probably an adrenaline hpop this summer. plan on buying an edge evolution soon as I get the money.

ok. So you say the idel goes up and down...is it only during the first couple of minutes(like 2) that you atarted it or once after its done been warmed up?

Check for oil and fuel leaks.

You say it has no get up and go till 2000 rpm...check the up pipes for leakage, as well as your intake boots for leaks post turbo.

As for the injectors and HPOP :thumbsup: good deal, but NO NO NO NO to the edge programmer.

First of all they suck period. On bone stock trucks. Have been known to cause alot of problems like locking to your truck. And when upgrading to bigger injectors an edge programmer is completely pointless to the affect you might as well me loosing power.

Get a TS style 6 position chip. With ANY of the many custom tuners tunes on it, most of which are sponsers on this site and can be found here. For example, Tony Wildman, Swamps, Beans/NLTD, Gearhead, Tyrant, ECT. They can custom tune, tunes to your specific truck and the mods you have done to it to optimise power and fuel economy. Where as the Edge can do no such thing. Even if you withhold from doing bigger fuel and oil mods, custom tunes will benefit you very well.

96OBS

Reaction score
Well I know there is no fuel or oil leaks because I would have seen spots in the driveway by now. And what's the best way to check the up pipes? Also, I can get a ts chip and custom tunes from MBS diesel here in Knoxville tn for $450. Sound like a deal? The ts just puzzled me a bit because wouldn't changing settings on it all the time screw with the computer? And it does it when its warmed up but not all the time. Its like a little spike in idle or sometimes a sink in idle that's barely noticeable or not even noticeable on the tach. Sorry for all the questions, but is the stock turbo OK to run with an adrenaline hpop and like some stage ones? If not I won't buy because I can't afford a new turbo. I can hardly afford the hpop and injectors. I'm 16 working my but off for money to dump in the truck.

96OBS

Reaction score
Well I was looking at industrial injection 230cc injectors or integrity plus 75hp injectors. I thought they were 400 for 8. They're 400 a piece!!!!!??? The injectors would come out to close to $3000. Plus 700 for the hpop. My dreams are ruined for my small performance build. At least for now...... so guess I'll just do a 6pos chip.....

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
You can find injectors a lot cheaper that $3k a set. Rebuilt stage I/II's range from $1200-$1800 from most of the reputable vendors on here. I'd stay away from Integrity Plus. From the looks of things they specialize in mainly 12v Cummins parts.

ryanss22

Reaction score
that must be for all 8 brand new injectors.. look into rosewood diesel inj's. I personally ran there 160/100 inj and loved them with my stock turbo. He Uses your own inj's and builds them up. Look at the vendors or the classifides here for inj, ALOT cheaper then $3000... def try to upgrade the downpipe or at least lose the cat.

As far as the ts chip thats a good price as im assuming its including the chip and tunes.

do you hear the AC clutch kick on and off when the rpm's change?

feel free to post up any questions you have.

96OBS

Reaction score
I'll look into getting mine upgraded. It will be in the summer before I do it, but I don't know where to start. I guess I'll save for injectors and run em on stock hpop until I can get more for an adrenaline. Ya its for custom tunes and chip.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Never heard of mbs so I would steer clear of them. but what size injectors do ya want? And yes you can so the dp by yourself, not too hard. Also do you have gauges?

I can set ya up with a package deal on everything you need

96OBS

Reaction score
Okay I looked at rosewoods! What would be best for me? I'm doing Adrenaline hpop and ts 6pos with custom. I'll have the injectors before hpop Though. Stage 1s 160cc stock nozzle 1200. Stage 1.5s 160cc and 30% nozzles 1235. Or stage 2s 160cc 80% nozzles. Also how hard is it to take out and replace injectors if i have no experiance doing it?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
D.P. - Easy with a sawzall and a hammer. Cut the only downpipe in half prior to removing, then shape the firewall with the hammer prior to installing new one.
Injectors - Always best to go bigger than you currently need (within reason). You can always de-tune injectors until you have supporting mods in order. If you are set on a 160cc injector go with the 160/80. Having a larger nozzle never hurt anyone (insert pun here).

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Okay I looked at rosewoods! What would be best for me? I'm doing Adrenaline hpop and ts 6pos with custom. I'll have the injectors before hpop Though. Stage 1s 160cc stock nozzle 1200. Stage 1.5s 160cc and 30% nozzles 1235. Or stage 2s 160cc 80% nozzles. Also how hard is it to take out and replace injectors if i have no experiance doing it?

Its not too hard doing injectors...

How much Hp do ya want? whats your budget?

96OBS

Reaction score
Well I planned on $1500 until I found out how much injectors were. I'm really not looking for numbers but I just planned on doing ts 6pos chip, one of the injectors from above, and an adrenaline hpop. The chip is not included because I will be getting it sooner. What kinda power would I be seeing? Are these injectors Smokey?

96OBS

Reaction score
Dang I'm gonna have to have gauges too. I guess I'll get there one at a time. Mbs diesel is very well known down here in Tennessee.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
It depends on whos tuning you go with and which injectors.

Skip over mbs and go with Swamps.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
With the right tuning it wont be.... but if you aint got gauges then i would hold off on injectors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.