JP-8 in 6.0?

SlingbladeMD

Reaction score
I've done some research about it, and I'm aware the JP-8 has no lubricating properties. From what I have learned is mixing it with some ATF makes it do able in a diesel truck. The only side affects are that its has slightly higher EGT's. I drive my truck like old man and my SCT tuner is not on its highest setting so EGT's dont concern me too much. I just wanted to know if anyone else on this site has run it, still does, and what your experience/side effects have been. Thank you for your time/input.

loboost

Reaction score
2 cycle oil would probably be a better lube.

Why would you even want to run jet-a(jp-8)?

Have a bunch that can't go back into an aircraft?:rolleyes:

And be prepared to add/change filters more often as it'll likely break chit loose in the lines

Last edited:

SlingbladeMD

Reaction score
I can get a bulk of it for free and i was debating on running it in my truck or just putting it in the heating oil. 2 Cycle probably would be a better lube now that you mention it.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
its about half way between kerosene and diesel. should run fine with atf mixed in it. if you have high egts and hard starts hot just add more atf

SlingbladeMD

Reaction score
Yeah I do not have a pyrometer in my truck so I'm not sure where my EGTs actually are, I was told the JP-8 would be a little hotter. Any idea if it affects the tank liner?

jdc753

Reaction score
Tanks250 on here messed around with jet fuel a few years back in his 6.0 pretty sure it was so he could deliver pizzas faster, but maybe you can pm him and see how it worked out for him.

dasboot

Reaction score
Back in the 80's I was with an Army Reserve unit in Fl. 349th Combat Support Hospital. We were going to our 2 week training. I forgot where we went but we were convoying out of State. We missed our fuel point, but had a tanker of JP-8. So we filled up our 1960 era Duce and 1/2's with it. They ran just fine. I'm not sure what engines were in those things.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Back in the 80's I was with an Army Reserve unit in Fl. 349th Combat Support Hospital. We were going to our 2 week training. I forgot where we went but we were convoying out of State. We missed our fuel point, but had a tanker of JP-8. So we filled up our 1960 era Duce and 1/2's with it. They ran just fine. I'm not sure what engines were in those things.
Mack multifuel.

Tonka350

Reaction score
I ran a full tank in mine with 1-2? bottles total of ATF mixed in....that's actually the BEST my truck has ever run was that 1 tank of fuel LMAO...

Chad

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ive got a buddy that both him and his dad strictly run jp8 in both their 7.3's. They have had no problems whatsoever. They gave me a few tanks before too, I really didnt notice any difference running it, but it smells a lot better than diesel, and I love the smell of diesel.

SlingbladeMD

Reaction score
With the JP-8 i turn my SCT tuner from performance to street. I was told it causes slightly higher EGT's so I'm just being cautious. Truck runs great, it does not smoke when i stand on it. no black cloud at all. Kinda weird but doesn't really change my life much lol.

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
for what its worth there are several f2/350 aircraft tugs with the 6.0l psd around base, and i have asked the other guys who operate them, and they run them off of straight jp-8. one of older tech sergeants even remembers when the older fords ran off of jp-4 and 5. he says he never heard of any problems. i too was wondering about jp8, just cant get my hands on any to find out.

SlingbladeMD

Reaction score
The 6.0 tugs at my base run on diesel, we use JP-8 in turbine generators and heaters. But the tugs run specifically on diesel. My truck happens to be running excellent on JP-8 though.

Latest posts

Members online