Just a heads up to the community.....

Fordmotorsport

Reaction score
I've studded two 6.0's with black diamond hg's and haven't had issues. Both trucks are running great. One with 10k after install and the other with 25k.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Some info Josh from RCD posted a while back on FB...

6.0L Ford Platinum Racing / Black Diamond Gaskets

After working with Mahle corporation to produce a higher quality product in early 2012, the President of North American sales for Mahle Clevite Corporation visited me with the Regional Sales rep to unveil the new gaskets for the 6.0L Ford. He brought samples with him and compared them to the Ford units and explained to me that Ford held a manufacturing contract with them and they could not manufacture gaskets to compete against Ford / Navistar utilizing their tooling. Anyone in the manufacturing industry knows that when you have a product outsourced and manufactured you are typically responsible to pay for your "tooling" used in the equipment to manufacture your specialized product. Mahle knew this so they used a gasket built by KP Gasket manufacturing located in Japan to build the original all black part number also known as the "Black Onyx" gasket. I myself actually named the gasket before it was known that Mahle had these available and we began to market these back in 2008. I also applied for and own the US trademark for 'Black Onyx" gaskets. Later, at that time many found them and started selling them as "Black Onyx" Which if I wanted, could go back and SUE everyone for millions of dollars who did this for trademark infringement but I just don't work that way.

But anyhow.. Back to my meeting with MAHLE. They took me to lunch explained the issues they had with quality control with the KP gasket and how they addressed this by making their own tooling identical to Ford / Navistar and began using the same material in the same punch press machines yet using the "new" Mahle tooling. Only difference was the fact that they used a black sprayed on sealing ring to make visual identification easy. Again, Same material. Just a different dye. They left me with as quoted "The first ones released to anyone" and at which time I placed a order. We then sat around and joked in my office with what they were going to call them. Black Onyx, Black Diamond etc was all spoke about along with a few other names but no sure pricing structure or "name" of the part.

A few days later we received a Bulk order of them and started to sell them under the name of "Platinum" Which we also have the trademark for. With no standardized pricing being set we sold them for $199 a set and highly discounted them if you purchased a set of ARP 250-4202 studs with them at the same time. Since that time, Mahle released a name and has marketed these gaskets. Something they never had done before with any specific gasket for this engine. With that being said at this time. We will be selling these as the Black Diamond units, in the black diamond packaging. There will also be a price decrease because we will no longer need to sort, label and package these bulk units we were selling before.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
If you say so, funny every shop I've talked to won't touch them even if you bring them yourself. I'll tell you what I won't take your word for it and continue to use Ford oem.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
We use VR head gasket sets and offer a 5 yr warranty on 6.0 head gasket jobs...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Does everyone forget about the Black Onyx gaskets? Sure, VR has changed and now makes their gaskets on the same line as OEM, but what about all the money customers lost having to do headgaksets twice?

This reminds me of the Dorman oil cooler gasket failing... sure, they fixed it now, but how many people got screwed because the company didn't do the proper homework the first time.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Unless customer request, the shop should be on the hook for warranty when the BO was an issue. I know we ate quite a few of those jobs, rough times....

Mdub707

Reaction score
Unless customer request, the shop should be on the hook for warranty when the BO was an issue. I know we ate quite a few of those jobs, rough times....

VR isn't at fault at all for pushing an inferior product out the door? When we release a new product at they company I work at, we test it before it goes out the door, we don't let the customer do our testing for us. Just my take on it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I don't think this has anything really to do with the topic? Are you saying you want people to boycott VR?

wiseguy

Reaction score
I normally use ford gaskets always have. I have used mahle gaskets few times and vr few times done probably 30 sets of felpro. only seen one truck with over 150k on set of felpros its a f450 repo truck so far so good. I always use felpro lower gasket sets much cheaper in my opinion oil pan gaskets are better than oem. felpro front and rear main is identical to ford. Personally i think all of them are about the same its more about proper surface finish than gaskets. ALL 6.0/6.4 will struggle with proper sealing due to poor design. the best stud in the world is only going to add a small amount of clamp load. Proper surface finish good quality gasket and better fastener is as good as it gets. 99% of failed gaskets on studded trucks are either poor workmanship or being stressed beyond engine capabilities. Some people will just never understand you cant put 30,000 lb load on your f550 and run 190cc inj and big turbo ricky bobby tunes and expect it to go 100,000 trouble free miles.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I'm redoing my motor and not chancing it. OEM ford head gaskets n oil cooler. I just torn it down I found out about the dorman cooler.....

posted from middle of no where.

sootie

Reaction score
I normally use ford gaskets always have. I have used mahle gaskets few times and vr few times done probably 30 sets of felpro. only seen one truck with over 150k on set of felpros its a f450 repo truck so far so good. I always use felpro lower gasket sets much cheaper in my opinion oil pan gaskets are better than oem. felpro front and rear main is identical to ford. Personally i think all of them are about the same its more about proper surface finish than gaskets. ALL 6.0/6.4 will struggle with proper sealing due to poor design. the best stud in the world is only going to add a small amount of clamp load. Proper surface finish good quality gasket and better fastener is as good as it gets. 99% of failed gaskets on studded trucks are either poor workmanship or being stressed beyond engine capabilities. Some people will just never understand you cant put 30,000 lb load on your f550 and run 190cc inj and big turbo ricky bobby tunes and expect it to go 100,000 trouble free miles.
I completely disagree. Prep work plays a big role in longevity.

Also physics / math disagrees too.

Reaction score
For anyone who goes out and buys the blue ford OEM gaskets.... Look at the actual part number stamping in the gasket...... It's funny how it's the same "vr" stamp logo and PN. They are all the exact same. On top of that, mahle-clevite is the company the owns basically all the oem gasket manufacturing out there. The only difference is that early on the manufacturer held exclusive rights to make/sell that part. So at first they where different so Mahle could sell a 6.0 head gasket. Now they can sell the exact same thing.

I've used them in four digit engines with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
I have no doubts that can or probably are made on the same assembly line.

However, it goes back to the ? IMO, for $200 savings it isn't worth the loss of potential customer satisfaction IF something were to happen and the customer asks if OEM gaskets were used.

strokin6L

Reaction score
The fact is..the VR and BD are OEM gaskets. Same material, came off the same press. Just cause they don't have the blue sealant don't make them any different than "OEM"

Reaction score
I have no doubts that can or probably are made on the same assembly line.

However, it goes back to the ? IMO, for $200 savings it isn't worth the loss of potential customer satisfaction IF something were to happen and the customer asks if OEM gaskets were used.

IMO they are OEM gaskets. They have the same PN on them coming from a Mahle package as a ford package. Just different package. We do not sell Mahle gaskets as a "ford" part. We clearly state that. If the customer dictates a ford part then that's what they get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online