Just doesn't add up

davey99ps

Reaction score
Sounds like the dyno was reading low, I wouldn't worry about it, track times tell the real story regardless of what a dyno says.

David N

Reaction score
If you're running 8.1's, I would be very happy. Thats well into 500 horsepower. Track times are the only "dyno" numbers I would go by.

mandkole

Reaction score
If you're running 8.1's, I would be very happy. Thats well into 500 horsepower. Track times are the only "dyno" numbers I would go by.

Agreed...you have more than 400. Find another dyno and operator if you want to report a bigger number.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
There are so many factors for both dyno's and hp calculators that you cant always compare the two, If you have a nice flat curve on your engine, then you will usually calculate higher on the track time calculator than what the truck will actually dyno for a peak number.

Then there are dynos, which usually do better in overdrive and starting as low of an rpm as possible without a down shift. This means also staying on boost and not putting the fire out with too much fuel, Almost all dynos wont put the same load on the engine as the truck will on the street or track, so boost is usually a little low, thus compounding any over fueled situations.

Dynos are tuning tools just like the track. I usually let the track tell the real HP story but if i need to make some small quick changes or want proof of where the power is or has moved to then i hop on the dyno.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
When I dynoed my truck with 250/100s with a 38r and stock fuel system, i was always just shy of 500hp, at right around 36-37 psi of boost. Sounds like you are there, dyno wasn't accurate, and also need more air. I have since added a fuel system, and a GQSSB, and right at 550ish hp. I would ditch th the 38r like you mentioned earlier

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jaybuller

Reaction score
If your running 8.1s you are well into 500 HP range you have nothing to worry about. Maby try the new Ww2 and see how it does. Track times are real hp calculators a dyno is just a tuning tool.

What about us 6 speed guys who want to know? hahah i bet i couldnt run an 8.1 if i had 700 hp in this 6 speed!

jaybuller

Reaction score
no i mean the problem is if i were to drag race my 6 speed i would probably destroy my syncros trying to get it to shift fast enough to get an accurate trap speed. other wize your loosing about 20 or 30 feet per shift that your not under power not to mentuion the boost lost between shifts.

Reaction score
no i mean the problem is if i were to drag race my 6 speed i would probably destroy my syncros trying to get it to shift fast enough to get an accurate trap speed. other wize your loosing about 20 or 30 feet per shift that your not under power not to mentuion the boost lost between shifts.

I don't seem to have a problem getting decent trap speeds out of my truck. Yes, you need to shift like you have a purpose and you might hurt the syncros eventually (3rd gear syncro in mine is trashed now)... Even on a few runs where my clutch was jacked and I couldn't grab 3rd gear I still trapped 96 mph, but only ran a 16 something. LOL Once I got used to launching in 3rd on the track and not getting under the turbo I got it down to a 13.67 @ 98mph.. Hopefully now with the larger nozzles I will finally trap 100mph. The dyno showed a 58hp gain since last time I was on the track, but we'll see if trap speed reflects that. Your ZF6 is even easier to get going in 3rd than my ZF5, but you still might want a dual disc.

Different dynos will give different numbers. loaded vs unloaded, corrected vs uncorrected, mustang vs dynojet vs dyno dynamics, etc. Let the track show the real power.

Last edited:

jaybuller

Reaction score
i think i may just stick to guessing my power! i guess....um 375rwhp..... im good with that!

Latest posts

Members online