Just installed a Php Hydra on E99 7.3

riverboy460

Reaction score
I was soo bummed to find out that I just spent hard earned cash on a new chip. Come to find out I pulled my pcm to find a hypertech chip in there. it is the one for my comp xle4. I cant find any info on it online.

The Php was a simple install. took me no more then 15 min to do the whole job. the routing to make it look like a clean install was super easy and I was very pleased with the outcome.

upon starting the truck I was going through the tunes changing the positions threw a few to make sure it worked it shut off the truck. I then restarted it with success. Then I turned on my head lights and the truck stalled and made a weird sound hard to explain ( kinda like a gas engine when it detonates. switched out the chip for my hypertech and restarted my truck with luck. I then placed the php chip back in and I was good to go. Prob hung up in the no start position (must have passed my no start spot 15).

The 65 hp daily driver w really really wakes this truck up. It blew away the hypertech chip by a longshot. However I need to do a longer drive to verify no issues and no high egt's. I felt like I was driving a light weight sports car. I am very very pleased with Mr. Bill's generic tunes over at php so far. customer service has been amazing too. Read a lot of post with complaints but every time I called them to verify info they answered. Top notch crew keep up the good work. Now here comes my fun for the next few weeks finding the best tune to drive in for my short trips to work im thinking stock and use others when I need the extra power or towing. the shifts are soo soft and smooth transitions way nicer then then firm hypertech chip.

anyone know what one is worth now a days for a good working chip so I can recover a little bit of my money back.

thanks and I hope this post helps someone that's on the fence of purchasing a php hydra chip/tuner. I can recommend it over hypertech but cant say for other tuners like dp etc. My father in law runs dp tuner tunes and loves them. so its all person preference. hear good things about a lot of tuners for the 7.3.

thanks all. good night.
:pint:

dsberman94

Reaction score
When it died it possible that that was maybe a wrong hex code. I'd double check it to verify because you don't want that to happen if you switch to that tune while driving.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The hypertech chip is a single pos single bank chip...

Worth about $50 bucks if your lucky.

Hell I threw away a superchips gold a few months ago.

MossBack

Reaction score
Did you clean the J3 contacts really good? It happens when one isn't sanded down good it can cause issues.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Did you clean the J3 contacts really good? It happens when one isn't sanded down good it can cause issues.

Never use sand paper! The most that should be used is a solvent to get rid of the grease and a light 3m pad. That is all that should ever be used. the only thing needed to do is remove the grease or protective coating that is on the J3 port. You do not want to remove ANY of the metal on the port. There is a really thin metal coating that if scratched or took off can make for a bad connection.

riverboy460

Reaction score
hydra

did not need to use the supplied scotch bright already had a chip so was cleaned in the past. I think it was a hiccup its been working fine since. the hex codes are right. what is the safest hp setting for the e99 7.3 stock except intake gauges and exhaust.

DHFF

Reaction score
I just put one on mine a couple weekends ago and the tranny last 1 day on the 120 horse tune. I had hoped it might hang for longer than that but oh well. Impressed with the tuner though its a night and day difference over stock.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I've had mine die with the hydra when i switched on my HIDS a couple times. So much for it being just the F6's. Doesnt bother me though

MossBack

Reaction score
I've had mine die with the hydra when i switched on my HIDS a couple times. So much for it being just the F6's. Doesnt bother me though

That is one concern I had... If it looks the same and does the same it must be the same..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Barnhartal

Reaction score
I don't run hids so no first hand experience, but from an electronics stand point, I mentioned before in another post, dp's sheathed cable with ferrets is a better design IMO than the flat ribbon cable of the hydra.

Oh well. Not going back to an f6 for sure and if it ever causes my problems I'll make my own sheathed cable for the hydra.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If a 120 or 140hp tune kills your trans you either held it to the floor infinitely or your trans was junk to begin with.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not really my point. You'd have to deliberately pound the ***k out of it or it was going out soon regardlessof your preconceived plans. They work well even when slightly damaged. My stocker that went 250k was still working and reverse was metal on metal. The clutches were smoked up to third gear.

DHFF

Reaction score
Not really my point. You'd have to deliberately pound the ***k out of it or it was going out soon regardlessof your preconceived plans. They work well even when slightly damaged. My stocker that went 250k was still working and reverse was metal on metal. The clutches were smoked up to third gear.

Yes we took it out and ran the crap out of it. Tranny had 135K on it and we did multiple 1/4 mile burnouts on the brakes. Torque converter finally gave up and there were a few hard parts bad in it. But enough about that.

The tuner definitely is awesome for the money.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes we took it out and ran the crap out of it. Tranny had 135K on it and we did multiple 1/4 mile burnouts on the brakes. Torque converter finally gave up and there were a few hard parts bad in it. But enough about that.

The tuner definitely is awesome for the money.

Exactly my point! Thanks.

riverboy460

Reaction score
my truck has the stock head lights etc. I really think my problem was I past my 15 position and that was the no start that I programed so I think that might have hiccupped it and killed the truck. Absolutely love it. run around in what ever it is 60 or 65 hp daily driver.

Only dislike I have is how loud it makes the truck. You can definitely hear the difference in the injectors now when I change the settings from stock to any of the higher hp tunes. my single chip hypertech that was in it was not this loud. however I have no idea what the hp of that chip was. the part number is 1xle4.

Latest posts

Members online