Let's talk fuel pumps

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Looks like I've lost another a1000 pump, 2nd one this year, 3rd in about the past 6 years. Different trucks and fuel set ups, this pump has approx 7k miles on it, set at 60 psi. Are our fuel systems just too hard on these pumps or is it just the nature of the beast? I've been thinking about switching to the Fuelab pumps. Seems they have very good reviews and low failures. How big of injectors do they support on low speed? How are you guys wiring them for higher depends on the high speed side? Thanks for any input!!

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
They make several different fuel lab pumps. I would have to look at the part number but fuel lab makes one that can flow enough to probably support anything we could ever think of needing. And you need some thick gauge wire to get the power down there either 12 or 10. I used 12 on mine. These pumps also have a high speed and low speed setting and what I did was wire a switch in to change from high speed to low speed that way I don't have to keep changing it under the truck. I have had good luck out of mine and Zack Pierce had good luck out of his too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Time in service is tough on any non-stock pumps, and especially with inadequate power supply. They were designed intermittent use for racing. If I was to go with a performance pump liked the idea of the fuelab having the low speed circuit-- 65-70 gpm on low speed is plenty. If you need more at the track switch to high speed.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Dual stock pumps.

THIS_zpsb5f3fc58.png

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Update: pulled the wires off the pump, had around 11 volt using a cheapo volt meter with a dial. Pump terminals and wires looked fine. Hooked them back up and pump fired right up like always. I like the idea of the Fuelab having te low and high speed option but I also like the reliability of the factory pumps. I want to make some changes anyways and my stock pump is still hanging on the frame. I'll see what else you guys have to say.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I'm running a Bosch 044 pump. It's only been on for a year but hasn't missed a beat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I would put a sump on the truck too. Gravity flow will help keep the pump alive and not strain it as much plus it won't have to work as hard to make the desired pressure. Beans fuel sump is an easy install. You don't even have to drop the tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TARM

Reaction score
Just wanted to point out there is no additional strain on properly setup siphon feed vs and sump feed. They are both gravity feed system and flow the same flow rate at the same head pressures based on the fuel hieght in tank. The ONLY time there is additional strain is when the siphon is started for the very first time or is broken. That only happens when you run out of diesel fuel in the tank not when you shut off the engine.

I known it seem logical that the pump has to pull fuel up the pipe all the time but it does not. Once the siphon is established it will keep flowing.

I even did a demonstration using a hose attached to the water jug vs one dropped over the edge to the bottom to establish a siphon. Timed them draining 1 gal of water. They were +/- 1 sec error rate.

Sumps can be handy when fuel levels are low sometimes as they give a bit extra in the sump catch.

But in terms of the vacuum / strain your pump has to pull to move fuel there is no appreciable difference between a sump and siphon.

There are also other ways that offer other benefits and take way liability and risk than going from traditional siphon to the sump setups used on the super duty tanks.

Surge tank with fuel pump intra-mount.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
a lot of folks do not know how gravity works.
unless the pump is under the tank it isnt going to be gravity fed

TARM

Reaction score
I think its because most people do not deal with plumping etc dealing with fluids etc.

With our SD if the pump is in the same place and orientation then there is no difference in the level of the hose outlet in reference to the tank level whether its a siphon or a bottom sump.

Not only that but the understanding science of siphon performance has actually been contested and not fully understood for a very long time. It use to be thought it was the change in pressures but then it was shown that it could work in the vacuum. Then it was thought to be molecular cohesion but then that did not hold up to why siphons still worked with air bubbles and CO2.

It seems its likley a combo of these that effect it depending on the conditions.

For our use we have a "practical siphon" The wiki has a good statement if its action:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphon
"A practical siphon, operating at typical atmospheric pressures and tube heights, works because gravity pulling down on the taller column of liquid leaves reduced pressure at the top of the siphon (formally, hydrostatic pressure when the liquid is not moving). This reduced pressure at the top means gravity pulling down on the shorter column of liquid is not sufficient to keep the liquid stationary against the atmospheric pressure pushing it up into the reduced pressure zone at the top of the siphon. So the liquid flows from the higher pressure area of the upper reservoir, up to the lower pressure zone at the top of the siphon, over the top, and then with the help of gravity and a taller column of liquid, down to the higher pressure zone at the exit"

96F350KID

Reaction score
Anything larger than 300/200s dual SD pumps don't keep up. I had them on mine and they were fine at anything less then 2.5ms of pulse. Anything more then that, basically WOT you're at 20ish psi. My fuel lab on low keeps 400/400s fed no problem at 75psi

emev0l

Reaction score
Anything larger than 300/200s dual SD pumps don't keep up. I had them on mine and they were fine at anything less then 2.5ms of pulse. Anything more then that, basically WOT you're at 20ish psi. My fuel lab on low keeps 400/400s fed no problem at 75psi

I've never ran the dual stock pumps, was everything else the same other then the pumps and the obvious needed splits for the dual pumps?

I always heard duals will feed anything.

I run an A1000 and my fuel pressure is rock solid.

96F350KID

Reaction score
Yes, all i did was remove the tee and placed the fuel lab in its place and wire it up. People think that if they dont loose smoke under load they still have fuel pressure. Everything in my truck is on a data logger and bothe obs trucks i have pull truck and drag/street truck have 350cc+ injectors and dual pumps never kept up WOT runs ever.

Latest posts

Members online