Let's talk hitches

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You know it would be fairly easy to pick up a Dana s110. I did that about 8 years ago and slapped it under a f550. It happened to be a brand new one I paid like $1k for. It was a truck shipment of parts to a manufacturing plant for the Superduty trucks that was involved in a wreck. Probably never find one again tho... haha.

That would solve about 80% of your issues.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a Hensley. Talked to a guy w/ one at the RV stealer today (for their 6th attempt at getting the entry door to close correctly) and the guy was raving about the Hensley. Says it's like having the trailer welded to the truck.

Anyone want a lightly used Reese Straight-line?

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Your seriously going to have to let me know how that hensley does. I was bouncing between that and my blue ox for so long. Id be suprised if it is that big of a difference but never know. It all depends on that particular trailer too though.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I'm interested too, always curious to see if there is a better product if I get a different trailer or something. For now, my blue ox pulls like its welded to the truck even in high winds and passing semi's and I've damn near got 6 inches of lift on my trailer from stock too for bushwacking...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
pictures or it never happened.:pointlaugh:

haha, I was wondering if someone might ask. Just for your buddy! We don't camp at "campgrounds" as we enjoy the back country camping. I have to put my rzr in 4x4 to climb the back ramp lol. Unless I'm working, then having the services and constant power for A/C is awesome...

I flipped the axles and then added a 3" lift block on the axles. My dealer said he can legally only add a 3" block haha.

Attachments

• IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

TrickTruck

Reaction score
LOL, that's a riot, I'd never get the motorcycles over the hump, they drag their bellies now. Wish I'd gotten the beavertail option.

Then again, the W&P is such a pig I'm pretty sure if I took it offroad it'd sink out of sight. Those pretty pictures you see of folks on the beach with their toyhauler, it's not going to be me, I'd get about 10' off the road and it'd be sunk.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
LOL, that's a riot, I'd never get the motorcycles over the hump, they drag their bellies now. Wish I'd gotten the beavertail option.

Then again, the W&P is such a pig I'm pretty sure if I took it offroad it'd sink out of sight. Those pretty pictures you see of folks on the beach with their toyhauler, it's not going to be me, I'd get about 10' off the road and it'd be sunk.

Haha that's awesome. Although it seems that I use it to stay in for work most of the times these days so I have contemplated removing the lift a time or two. My next trailer will probably be a little less extreme and more towards normal camping haha. Your camper might be heavy but it sure is a nice unit! I have come very close to getting stuck with 35" MT's locked up in 4x4 and the rear locker engaged. I sprayed the front of the trailer pretty good haha.

dmd

Reaction score
I've got a 35' tag a long @12k. The first time I pulled it,it was a nightmare. I have the load leveler chains and 1 sway bar pulling with 01 250 cc/sb. I was bout 3" too high at the tongue. I made an adjustable drop hitch plate and that made a difference. But it's still a handful at times(wind,heavy traffic) I'd much rather have a 5er,and drw over 30' from now on. This is my last pull behind.

I thought that too before the Hensley. Blue Ox may do you good too. Even for
the cost I would get the Hensley again. With the design it cant sway, eliminates
it, doesnt just dampen it. With the geometry the pivot point is at the rear
axle. My trailer would cause all sorts of problems even with the premium Reese
hitch, Reese has been in the Hensley box for years now after i took it off...

A good (great) hitch makes all the difference. Much cheaper than new trailer or truck.

Jomax

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 24ft enclosed car hauler. I added a friction sway bar and its better, but still not how I want it. It's probably just life. Half temped to get a gooseneck.

Funny thing is, it's not my truck that sways you only see the trailer sway in the mirror.

I wonder how much spread axles would've helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
My trailer will push on the truck so much that I have to counter it to keep in my lane. It can be quite a handful.

I'm convinced I need to try the Hensley. Just need to find the $2.2k

My09Ride

Reaction score
:cursing:I'm going to do something I never do! Guys this is starting to sound like a PSN post. Spend the money( Big Money) for Hensley if you are not a "driver", or except the fact, the truck will not respond like there was no one in the back seat. I didn't have the big money.

Jomax

Reaction score
My trailer will push on the truck so much that I have to counter it to keep in my lane. It can be quite a handful.

I'm convinced I need to try the Hensley. Just need to find the $2.2k

I'll be ordering the blue Ox for the price I'll be trying it.

I cannot get a gooseneck. I need to be able to fit in storage facilities and a 24ft bumper pull is the MAX that will fit into 90% of storage facilities

Jomax

Reaction score
:cursing:I'm going to do something I never do! Guys this is starting to sound like a PSN post. Spend the money( Big Money) for Hensley if you are not a "driver", or except the fact, the truck will not respond like there was no one in the back seat. I didn't have the big money.

I don't quite understand this post..

dsmracing1

Reaction score

:lame:

Jason

Reaction score
Spread axles help, I pulled a 34' v-nose triple axle to California with 2 cars in it, blew the middle axle tire on the left side, put spare on...400 miles later, blew the right middle. Son of a b....no spare, pulled the tire off, kept rolling. Wound up picking up something in the left middle tire, in a fit of non-believing rage, I pulled it off, threw it in the bed of my truck, and kept rolling. With 2 axles on the ground, that were technically now over-lpaded, it felt way more planted than it did with 3. Made the rest of the trip with the middle axle tire-less.

I owned 2 24' enclosed car trailers at the same time..one a torsion axle Pace American, the other a 24' Forest River Cargo Mate. The Pace had a flat roof, flat front wall, and the curved cap on the roof/nose joint. The Cargo Mate had a curved roof and nose. Cargo Mate trailer always felt likeit was on the verge of swaying, and never seemed to handle as well as the Pace. The Pace I could set the cruise at 80 across West Texas or New Mexico with a little sidewind, and drive one-handed...never a bobble. Kinda funny.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I had a 34' heavy frame triple axle bumper pull as well. Pulled like a tuned arrow... triple axle and properly balanced. The height of it was nice and low. But I was also pulling it with a one ton dually. The frame on an enclosed car hauler (big one) vs a camper is night and day difference.

There are a lot of factors for his sway situation. One is the camper pulls like a wet noodle and send a frequency tat gets amplified at his rear tires. The balance of his trailer being a toy hauler also helps NONE.

dmd

Reaction score
Not sure how to feel about these hitches. Look like they're built hell for stout but how far they sit away from axle has me concerned about leverage. I know squat about weight distribution hitches as I've always had a gn with zero use for anything else.

Maybe they have something.

https://www.genyhitch.com/store?class=Class V

They are strong, but dont look to eliminate sway. I never had much luck with friction
sway reducers.

Only hitches that I know to eliminate sway are Hensley and Pullright. They
move the pivot point up by the axle. Others dampen sway by friction or cams.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had that opportunity when I bought it.

I run w/ a cap, so every time I hook up I'd have to take the cap off.
The hitch I'd buy is 300lbs. That is a LOT of weight for someone to pick up. Even with 2 big men, wrestling that into the back of the truck every time...not happening.
5ers are a lot more money than I paid for this tag trailer.
5ers put more weight on the truck, I'm a SRW w/ 3300lb tires. The 5ers push me deeper into the tire rating.

Just had a long conversation with Terry at Hensley. I think the SwiftArrow is for me. $2245 delivered.

Anyone wanna buy a Reese Straightline?

That right there is the struggle of life. They make stuff light for handling it but you are seeing that it isnt sturdy in that manner. I understand your readining about being able to lift it but i would think a guy with a trailer and hobby as yours would own even a one ton shop crane or cherry picker as hillbillys call them. I have two or three and doing things that seem arduous are three minute jobs if you rig up your loads and do the work.

If I had the issues you do and no bumper hitch company makes things rated to fix your issue maybe its outside the design parameters of your trailer to make. Its possible the trailer is just a piss poor design.

I hope this new hitch solves all your issues though.

Latest posts

Members online