Let's talk shift

D66stroke

Reaction score
I'm by no means a trans builder, I've never pulled a trans apart. But I've messed with valve body's in e4od's and 4r's over the years between owning them, reading up on them, doing mods, etc.. I can't stand a smooth shift, but nobody wants to be in a neck brace after driving their truck either. What do you trans builders think is the best "combination" of mods for a nice crisp shift? You have your drilled out calibration plates, modulator valve/sleeve's (.427" and .500"), stiffer(?) springs found in shift kits, tuning, and even DIY mods such as drilling out the body itself for more flow, which I have experience with and it works. I'm about to do a valve body for a friend and trying to see the best way to go about it. If it was my truck I'd throw a $20 .427 or .500 valve in there and call it a day but I guess I'm questioning the fact why do these trans builders do multiple VB mods and use these $100+ kits when one little $20 valve is all that's needed for a firm shift? Not trying to get shut down by the pro's haha, but just curious

cbf9703

Reaction score
Not sure what trans you're doing for a friend, but why not do a transgo tugger kit and call it a day?

I'll be the one to say it, but for the $80 difference you're talking I'd rather go for something proven to be reliable and not *** up a tranny. :shrug:

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

D66stroke

Reaction score
What I'm trying to say is theres a few different ways to go about getting a firmer shift, each of which being easy to do. Just wanted opinions from actual builders on what they prefer

cbf9703

Reaction score
Yes, I get that, which is why most of the kits have you drill out as well as use firmer springs. The last time we did one just to firm up shifts and not upgrade any parts (e4od), my trans builder said just use the tugger kit and be done with it, especially since there's adjustability built in for your preferences. We put it back together, ran it and tweaked one more time to get it where we wanted it, but it was better to start out drilling less and work our way up for our preferences on that application. Just one opinion... Maybe someone else will drop a golden nugget for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online