Locker and gears dana 60

7.3obs

Reaction score
So about a month ago I decided to tackle my dana 60 swap after pulling my hair out over a annoying ugly clunking dana 50. I was going to wait to do the swap because I wanted to get the gears changed in it because my rear axle has 4.10 gears while the dana 60 had 3.55gears in it but my dana 50 was getting bad and I had some free time. So I've been driving around with two wheel drive and pulling season is coming up and want to have four wheel drive back.

My question is when it comes to lockers what are they talking about when it says 4.10 down gears? Is that what I need? I just have been doing some reading and found stuff about carriage break and such. It's all foreign to me.

I can get yukon ring , pinion, seals, shims, bearings and races at my local autozone for 230$ which I thought was pretty decent. The locker I plan to run is a eton elocker and I know people have had problems with them. I know a couple friends of mine that run them and haven't had any troubles with theirs. The only time I'll use it is when I'm hooked to the sled. I don't do any mudding or extreme off roading. What locker do I need to order? A 4.10 down, 35 spline locker? Axle is a king pin if that makes any difference.

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
When they say 4.10 and down they mean that the locker will only fit gears 4.10 and numerically lower such as 3.73 and 3.55 there is a split in the locker because the 4.56 and up is a different size. That's all.

7.3obs

Reaction score
When they say 4.10 and down they mean that the locker will only fit gears 4.10 and numerically lower such as 3.73 and 3.55 there is a split in the locker because the 4.56 and up is a different size. That's all.

Awesome. Pretty straight forward but I just wanted to make sure before I buy a locker and pull my axle apart only to find out I didn't get the right locker. Thanks for the clarification.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I thought about getting a lock right locker for my front. Bad idea?

m j

Reaction score
a real detroit would be better, but you will have to remove the softlocker preload clutches to make it work properly in a front axle. that is what I run in my DD

I have never had any luck with lock rite or other lunchbox stuff, but Ive only used them in d44

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
I thought about getting a lock right locker for my front. Bad idea?

I'm putting a locker in my front diff when I do my 05-07 swap realistically the only drawback is that there's no turning it off. My opinion on that is you can always unlock the hubs and then there's no problem.but that's Just my opinion.

m j

Reaction score
I'm putting a locker in my front diff when I do my 05-07 swap realistically the only drawback is that there's no turning it off. My opinion on that is you can always unlock the hubs and then there's no problem.but that's Just my opinion.

which locker? to turn off a detroit style simply do not send power down the driveshaft and it will act like its not there (unless the softlocker preload clutches are still in it)

Honeydew_OBS

Reaction score
I run a spartan in my 60 front, operates smooth and gets me anywhere. Cheaper and easier to install than a full carrier locker.

7.3obs

Reaction score
I'm gunna try a elocker. Should be ordering it soon. I got this idea today and I plan to delete my front tank along with selector valve, instal a sump at the bottom of a 35 gallon tank in the rear. So I'll then free up the tank selector switch and I can make that into the diff lock switch.

zilla68

Reaction score
I'm gunna try a elocker. Should be ordering it soon. I got this idea today and I plan to delete my front tank along with selector valve, instal a sump at the bottom of a 35 gallon tank in the rear. So I'll then free up the tank selector switch and I can make that into the diff lock switch.

keep the selector for the fuel sender to work on the tank that is left
also a lesson I learned, when ordering the new sender, do not bend it, leave it like it is, I bent mine and upon installation, it now reads 1/2 tank is full, but i'm not pulling it again lol

7.3obs

Reaction score
keep the selector for the fuel sender to work on the tank that is left
also a lesson I learned, when ordering the new sender, do not bend it, leave it like it is, I bent mine and upon installation, it now reads 1/2 tank is full, but i'm not pulling it again lol

I was going to plumb it with efuel and do away with the selector. Extend the current sending unit along with the fuel level arm. I thought I seen a write up somewhere on it awhile back and that's what they did.

zilla68

Reaction score
I did the strictly efuel and decided to leave the selector, that way I didn't have to start cutting and tapping wires. there is a write up gncxx did it I believe

7.3obs

Reaction score
So I'm planning on ordering my chit this weekend.

I wanna make sure that I got this right before I spend the money and get it only to find out I ordered the wrong damn one. I plan to order a eaton e locker for a dana 60 4.10 down gears and 35 spline shaft. Sound right?

Thanks.

7.3obs

Reaction score
So I'm planning on ordering my chit this weekend.

I wanna make sure that I got this right before I spend the money and get it only to find out I ordered the wrong damn one. I plan to order a eaton e locker for a dana 60 4.10 down gears and 35 spline shaft. Sound right?

Thanks.

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
That sounds right just double check with the person you're ordering from. They should be able to help you as well.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Will do. I've actually decided I'm going to go with an ox locker with an electric servo. Just have read a lot of iffy things about the elocker and the actuating mechanism inside. I like the ox locker because it's very similar to a shift fork in a transmission. Not much can go wrong there I don't think. Price is a little more but I wanna do it once and not have to pull it out because of some magnet or something isn't doing it's job.

Ox locker seems more reliable I guess.

7.3obs

Reaction score
So my ox locker showed up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.