Looking at a 7.3

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
Local auction will include a 7.3 that caught my eye. May try to pick it up if the price is right. It's a 99 F-250 ex cab long bed 4x4 with 257,000 miles but it does have a 6 speed. Service style headlights so I would imagine it is base model. What are some things to look for and would it be worth to y'all?

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
7 or 8 grand? If its in good shape. Pull the oil cap off an check blowback. That will give you an idea of what kinda shape it's in.

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
7 or 8 grand? If its in good shape. Pull the oil cap off an check blowback. That will give you an idea of what kinda shape it's in.

It's actually pretty clean
F-336D-481F-BBC2-E73397E9838F-789-0000003310C0CF72.jpg

7-B3D3-4F3B-A5BF-D8E3F6EC9B6A-789-00000033113DBC5E.jpg

7-707B-43C3-A366-E6430CA6AD80-789-0000003312449410.jpg

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Wind up windows. No electric locks. Bet it has been used pretty hard. 3 or 4 grand.

x2 with that many miles, its a 3k truck max its probably a rag with 260k on it. theres always 3 kinds of people at an auction, the ones who want to make some money on it and try to buy it cheap, the ones who need a vehicle so they will drive up the price past what it should, be and then the third is the guy trying to unload it and may drive up the price on it LOL

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
x2 with that many miles, its a 3k truck max its probably a rag with 260k on it. theres always 3 kinds of people at an auction, the ones who want to make some money on it and try to buy it cheap, the ones who need a vehicle so they will drive up the price past what it should, be and then the third is the guy trying to unload it and may drive up the price on it LOL

I'm thinking it should go relatively cheap since it's in the same auction as a house, a bunch of guns, and farm equipment. It's the only vehicle being sold.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
and don't forget you have to pay a buyers fee which will drive up the price a bit as well, then pay taxes on it for whatever you bought it for as well. They can idle fine but it depends how they drive under load. Also without being able to drive it the trans would worry me. I would look on the side of the trans to see if there is a tag somewhere on it. If not then I would highly doubt it has been rebuilt , most places put a tag of some sort on them...... and a 4r100 with 260k stock trans is usually no bueno

but you always get the 7.3 faithfulls out there that think every 7.3 is a million mile truck, at those type of auction settings that we have run into at least.

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
and don't forget you have to pay a buyers fee which will drive up the price a bit as well, then pay taxes on it for whatever you bought it for as well. They can idle fine but it depends how they drive under load. Also without being able to drive it the trans would worry me. I would look on the side of the trans to see if there is a tag somewhere on it. If not then I would highly doubt it has been rebuilt , most places put a tag of some sort on them...... and a 4r100 with 260k stock trans is usually no bueno

but you always get the 7.3 faithfulls out there that think every 7.3 is a million mile truck, at those type of auction settings that we have run into at least.

Well that's one of the only nice things about the truck, it's a 6 speed.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I guess the next question is will it need a clutch with a 6 position, DIY filter, and straight pipe?

6637 intake, 6 position with Matt's or NLTD's tunes, and straight pipe is all I'm doing on mine. I'm actually just cutting the pipe before the muffler until I buy a DP, exhaust and stack...

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
6637 intake, 6 position with Matt's or NLTD's tunes, and straight pipe is all I'm doing on mine. I'm actually just cutting the pipe before the muffler until I buy a DP, exhaust and stack...

I was gonna keep the mods dirt cheap like 6637 and just replacing muffler and cat with regular pipe. I think it would benefit a lot from pulling all of the vent visors, bed rail guards, and step bars off. Maybe throwing some non service truck headlights in it.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I was gonna keep the mods dirt cheap like 6637 and just replacing muffler and cat with regular pipe. I think it would benefit a lot from pulling all of the vent visors, bed rail guards, and step bars off. Maybe throwing some non service truck headlights in it.

switching out the headlights will make a big difference appearance wise for obvious reason, make sure you get headlights with the adjusters and all because the service ones are not mounted the same as the 02-04 style.

did you end up buying it or is it an upcoming auction?

always-strokin

Reaction score
Thats interesting, i've never noticed 'til this thread that there is a such thing as "service headlights". Whats the point of them over the regular headlights???

Also, I love that truck. Just find a nice XLT interior to swap into it and you've got a keeper man. Especially if its 4x4

psduser1

Reaction score
That six speed at those miles will/could cost as much as an auto. Ask me how I know.....
The body appears clean tho, so it could be worth the time, id go as high as 5k. No more.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.