lost with this one. little help

sgleshot

Reaction score
ok, heres a video of my buddies 02 f250 7.3 auto, a year or so ago he had a #8 injector go out, we replaced that and it ran good, but its never been quite right. it sounds like its missing and its down on power big time, no cel codes, has fresh oil and fuel filter, has a wicked wheel, straight exhaust, and a TS chip, truck runs the same with or without TS chip.

Heres a video of it running, any input would be great. Anything to check? somewhere to start? We're kinda at a loss on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSq_RQ8Advc

Tom S

Reaction score
Does not sound like all 8 cylinders to me from the video.

golfer

Reaction score
how many miles on the engine?

fuel pressure results? Fuel Psi test

"runs the same with or w/o TS chip" suggests that either the chip isn't installed correctly...or there is a major boost leak, exhaust leak(up-pipes/manifolds), or inj problem

if you have a scantool (not a code reader)..see what the value is for manifold gauge pressure on a hard run, 50-80mph @ WOT.

if the PCM/chip isn't "seeing" any decent amount of boost...then the PCM/chip will not give you any extra fuel...boost & fuel are like the chicken and the egg..gotta have fuel to make boost...but the PCM needs to see that boost (through the MAP sensor) to 'give' you more fuel..

definitely sounds like ragged ass though...and isn't firing on 8 cyls...(no SES/CEL only means that the injs are physically plugged in...not that they are all good, obviously)

any significant amount of oil consumption? how does the compressor wheel in the turbo inlet look? (chewed up/abraded/sand blasted?)

sgleshot

Reaction score
how many miles on the engine?

fuel pressure results? Fuel Psi test

"runs the same with or w/o TS chip" suggests that either the chip isn't installed correctly...or there is a major boost leak, exhaust leak(up-pipes/manifolds), or inj problem

if you have a scantool (not a code reader)..see what the value is for manifold gauge pressure on a hard run, 50-80mph @ WOT.

if the PCM/chip isn't "seeing" any decent amount of boost...then the PCM/chip will not give you any extra fuel...boost & fuel are like the chicken and the egg..gotta have fuel to make boost...but the PCM needs to see that boost (through the MAP sensor) to 'give' you more fuel..

definitely sounds like ragged ass though...and isn't firing on 8 cyls...(no SES/CEL only means that the injs are physically plugged in...not that they are all good, obviously)

any significant amount of oil consumption? how does the compressor wheel in the turbo inlet look? (chewed up/abraded/sand blasted?)

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more in my first post, wether the chip is installed or not, the symptoms do not get worse or better judging by ear or feel. I have a scan tool so we can do the test for the manifold gauge pressure. and its only got 147k on it

Last edited:

sgleshot

Reaction score
well we had a break through on this one, to be honest he never had time to get the tests done, but it appears he had one of the injectors hang up on him on saturday, ran like even more like garbage and just bellowed grey smoke, he shut it down and when he went to start it it acted like it was locked up. I'm guessing it flooded the cylinder, cause we pulled the injectors out, didnt loose a nozzle or anything crazy like that but it looks like he's gonna have the injectors gone through and rebuilt just so theres piece of mind that they are good to go. Soooooo who do ya'll recomend to have go through these? maybe bump them up a touch.

sgleshot

Reaction score
can see how much fuel it was dumpin

2011-08-30_20-58-45_594.png

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.